Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gluing the boat
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I just purchased a 1984 16 that is in excellent shape with the exception of the fact it is quite loose. Part of the fact is that the tramp is also very loose. So tightening it may go a long way to fixing the problem.
I was wondering if anyone (and/or Matt B.) had a procedure that they have used that may have worked for them and what products seem to work best.
Thanks,
John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Go to The Beachcats website http://www.thebeachcats.com/ and look under "Do-it'Yourself'. There is an article on how to glue (epoxy) your frame so your boat isn't so lose. I'm going to do this but later sometime in June.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Harry,
Great article....Thanks
John

Post subject: Re: Gluing the boat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last year I glued my H16 and what a difference in the big ocean chop. I used Cold Cure - a product we all use here in Vancouver. I applied lots of the Cold Cure Epoxy to the hull post and inside the corner casting. When we reassembled the boat, we laced up the tamp and began the alignment process.
Have 2 extra people with a metal measuring tape standing one to each end. Begin to tighten the trap being careful to tighten equally along the back with care to "NOT" skewing the boat from over tightening one side. The extra people with the measuring tape should call out numbers for determining if you are creating a skew. There is no need to overtighten the lacing at this point. Just snug it up.
Also watch the hull front tip from skewing up on one side. This is down by the person performing a second measurement from the floor to the hull tip.
At the end, check the front/back measurement and tip to floor. It anything is off, use your main blocks to pull it back square.

Your boat will point great after this.
MARK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:50 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Instead of glues I would just try to get the tramp as tight as possible. If it is still lose then I would try putting shims around the pylons, you can use a beer can cut into 1 inch strips and bend the top on them over the top of the pylon and then slide the frame back on. If all of this fails then you can try epoxy, however this is normally a one time deal and once it is done it if done. Good luck!

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brad,

My 83 was shimmed by the previous owner, and I have some loseness.
When picking up one bow the other starts to move about 6 inches... The Boat is without tramp and upside down right now to work on the hulls. Once I get it back together and sail some I'll determine if I need to glue.

They may have used a Cheep beer can also..... :lol:

Thanks for the GOOD information that you provide.
Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:52 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I also noticed at the bottom of that article that somebody had mentioned welding the frame. I was going to do this before I decided on a H17. It seems like a very good idea, and from my car experience, would definately work. The welds can be cut easily if disassembly is needed, and if you're worried about pressure points, just use shims. It will take a ton less time, be very cheap (to pay a professional welder to weld the aluminum) and most likely last longer than an epoxy. If something like that concerns you, it will probably be lighter too :wink: