Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New H16 Tramps?
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the sailors in Div 7 burned a hole through the edge of his tramp to put the dead end of the traveler sheet through. I thought this was a neat idea. I was told that the new 16's will be running the shockcord for the trapeze this way. Just wondering where, (front to back), these should be going. I was thinking that the crew's trap should be just aft of the shroud and the skipper's centered in between the crew's and the rear crossbar.

Any thoughts?

Is the edge where it is "solid" not mesh plenty strong for a 1/2" hole cut into it? My main reason for wanting to do this is that the shock cord is destoying my neoprene rail pad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Karl,

I had a similar concern that was also compounded by another issue. The stock bungee made it difficult to go aft on the wire compfortably without it pulling me forward. Matt Miller informed me about the new "Hole in the tramp" design. Instead of the hole, which I found about afterwards, I took the bungee straight to the hull.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=145&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=TMP_SESSION_ID_DI_NOISSES_PMT

I reciprocated the bungee X2 so that the crews port bungee connected to the skippers starboard bungee and visa-versa. This way, it served both purposes. No wear on the rug and plenty of bungee to go aft. compfortably.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=10607&g2_serialNumber=2&g2_GALLERYSID=2e4cddf48b25a90976ccc84425e406c4

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just yanked the tramp off this morning and took it to an upholstery shop to add the gromets. I think this will work pretty slick. I added 2 for the trap shock cords, and 1 for the jib traveler sheet.

Last edited by Karl Brogger on Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl,
You did all of that this morning??? You must've been a Marine. That looks really great. Neat! Great job!!!

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How do you tighten your tramps.
I tried to get it as tight as possible, but it still seems to be not perfectly tight.

Chriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The crew seems a little forward to me. Let us know how it goes double trapped. You might be ok with just a looser bungee up front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

swisscat wrote:
How do you tighten your tramps.
I tried to get it as tight as possible, but it still seems to be not perfectly tight.

Chriss
He's a Marine

seriously
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=221

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I pre-bend the side rails a bit. And I use one of the Murray's tramp tools. Works really well.

I didn't feel like working this morning, didn't have much to do. It took the upholstery guy about 5 min to install the grommets. He would've charged me $10, but he only had $9 in change, so it cost me $11. The shop is a whole 3.5 miles from my house. I have about an hour into doing this.

The crews trap is just behind the shroud. A little forward, but being that they are fixed in position now and I didn't want them to be in the way all the time. Reaching it will probably be definetly too far forward.

Last edited by Karl Brogger on Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks.

I will have to try next weekend.

Quote:
And I use one of the Murray's tramp tools. Works really well.

Unfortunately I live some 1000's miles away from the USA and shipping the distance is too expensive.

Nice evening
Chriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

you can use an open end wrench and a screwdriver to twist the lines tight. The murray's tool comes with these neat things that you jamb into the grommets to hold the lacing while you move the tool to the next line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've found that a small pair of vise-grips works better than the tool that you insert into the grommets to hold the lacing. If you have another person to pull the lacing, that might be all you need if you've added pre-bend to the side rails. I've always been a little fearful of pulling the grommets out.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
you can use an open end wrench and a screwdriver to twist the lines tight

That sounds good.

Thanks
Chriss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:25 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Karl - you will find very quickly that the aft trapeze, held in place by the grommet, will be in the way in light air.

The forward trap is fine, but the skipper's trap should still run around the sidebar. I left a "parking spot" (a place with no sidebar carpet) right by the shroud to keep it out of the way in light air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same thought as Matt. The back trap wire will drive you nuts down wind and in the light stuff upwind.
I have seen someone take a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe and split it, then attach to the side rail to stop the carpet from being chewed up. it worked well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Worst case I just have an extra hole in my tramp. My thought was in light air just clip the skipper's trap to the crew's bungee. So long as both aren't being used that should be fine. Hopefully.....