Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How fast can a H16 go?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Went sailing solo today. Was sailing on a reach along with another H16 in probably 20++ winds. When we finally came off the water, I took a look at my GPS to see how fast we had been going. The GPS said 34.4 mph. Is that possible ?

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Possible....maybe if the boat was flying in a tornado, but under sail I doubt that it is possible, I don't think that even the Tornado can hit that but I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The instantaneous max speed on a GPS is notoriously unreliable. If you can, you should set it for a 5 or 10 second average.

Last edited by MBounds on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Years ago a 16 was clocked at 29 mph. I never heard of a faster speed but there's always someone that'll try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobie advertised a recorded top speed of 25.9 mph in their 16 brochure for several years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Was there current involved? When a friend and I went to texas last year the current in one of the shipping channels between the bay and the gulf the current was pretty fast. We were told it could be about 8 knots on average when the bay was draining back out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry Guys, Thanks for all the really great responses but, false alarm. After every sail, I usually remove the batteries from the GPS and had assumed that this would "zero" out all the active data. The 34.4 mph bothered me so much that I just had to dicsover the true validity of this figure. I also didn't want to rely on a device that could be that inaccurate. So, I zero'd everything out manually, took the batteries out then put them back in. After driving around the block (at 27 mph top speed), I removed the batteries, put them back in and "low and behold," the maximum speed still registered at 27 mph. My bad, but thanks for your help anyway.

The only downside is that I'll never know how fast "Frenchie" (the other solo sailor on the other H16) and I were going. He's the guy that made wings (training wheels) :lol: for the H16 but stopped for health reasons. This time last year, it was assumed that he would not be alive this time this year and that he would never sail again. Well, I told him that he was going to get a chance to sail again and if I ever caught hiim on the water, I was going to "smoke" him. I just want to say that, "he did a pretty good job for a man that's supposed to be dead. I don't think my boat has ever gone that fast, even with a crew.

David