Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Two questions. I live in a place with very few sailing type stores or outlets. I use the internet mostly to get stuff, but is there any non-sailing non-petroleum based lubicants that I could find at Walmart of Checker auto. I used up the last of my McLube and don't want to wait a week to get some more through the mail. Any ideas.

The second question relates to hooking up the main halyard after raising the main sail. It seems to be a hit and miss thing. It has become very difficult and sometimes even impossible when I am by myself. I have exhausted myself the last couple of times pulling forward and down on the halyard so that the stop clears the hook and then gently releasing it only to have the main begin to fall down. Any clues to the secret? It seems that the first few times it was much easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

mdgann,

I was told to use a tea candle on the luff of the sail to get it to slide a little easier in the track. As far as hooking into the bead cleat, I also have trouble getting the main halyard to the point of hooking the bead. It seems as though it hangs up just inches short. My biggest problem though is being able to see the bead and seeing that it is in the cleat. I would like to know from others what they do to see that the bead is hooked. I really don't want to use binoculars, but sometimes wonder if thats what it is going to take to ensure the bead is hooked properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm really just an amateur sailor, but I have this same problem, seems common on the 16. The last few inches is the hard part. What I usually do is cleat the main when it gets to that point. I then put my palms together on each side of the sail, just at the luff and luff track, hard to describe, hope that makes sense. I try and push the sail up the luff track what ever little bit I can. Then, wearing gloves of course, I walk the halyard out till I'm just at were the forestay meets the bridle wires. I litteraly put most of my body weight on the halyard and it almost always goes the rest of the way. Then I just walk the halyard in towards the mast making sure I keep the tension on the halyard, and centered to the mast. Then I just give it a little assuring tug downwards right against the mast and release to make sure it's caught. I rig the boat solo quite a bit and this method really seems to work well for me on my boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have 2 sails and 2 masts (one is a loaner until I get my mast base repaired), One of the masts has the sail guide in it and is about to not have the guide any longer!!! The guides really change the feed angle and hang up on the baton pockets very badly.

It seems that all of the 4 combinations act differently, sail A in Mast A is super easy to set, I can do it with one had tied behind my back literally, sail B in Mast B I almost have to hook up the truck and set the sail using a winch (not really) one of the biggest problems is if the batons are too tight, they will force the baton pockets against the mast which in turn cause more friction. Also, make sure the boat is pointing directly into the wind if there is any at all.

Yes, you might need to gently feed the last 6 to 12 inches in the track to help it up. you can even get on the tramp and push up the sail even more if needed.

If it seems that the bead is slipping out of the fork, make sure the fork is not bent and will hold the bead in place.When I got the loaner mast, somebody had bent the forks flat against the mast, glad I noticed that before stepping it.

When you have the bead in the fork, you will know it by the clink when you let the halyard go.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had this same problem with my boat until I realized that the outhaul on the boom was causing the hang up. Now I just leave it loose until the main is set and then adjust it accordingly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

How does this tea candle trick work? Do you just rub the wax against the luff of the sail?

Post subject: The last few inches
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We were having a similar problem this weekend. We just bought a new used Hobie 16 after a 23 year absence.

My husband discovered that if a second person (in this case me) supports end of the boom while raising the sail the last few inches, it goes up very easily. And yes, you might achieve the same effect by loosening the outhaul line. It probably does the same thing. Releases the tension on the sail.

As to knowing whether or not the bead is caught in the fork, in our case if it wasn't caught the sail would slip down. When properly caught, the halyard has absolutely no pressure on it.

I wax the luff of my sail when it needs it with parafin, or the wax blocks used in canning food. You can get them in the canning supplies of any grocery store. I read somewhere that you shouldn't use wax, as wax attracks dirt. But I haven't experienced that. Of course we store our sails indoors when not in use also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Mclube in the mast groove, ands on teh bolt rope, helps.

Sail # 21888

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Speaking of McLube...

I recently bought some RZ-50, which seems very similar - if not identical - to McLube. Found it at Home Depot. It even smells the same.

Has anyone tried this on their sails yet?

Post subject: Hoist
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:06 am 
Site Admin

I have a detailed hoist FAQ (in the FAQ section) that includes the Hobie 16...

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

found it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For lube I always just use pure silicone spray from Walmart. It leaves no oily residue and works quite well.

For raising the main:
I have a comp tip so my experience could be a little different.
1.) Stand in front of the crossbar, between the hulls.
2.) I flip the halyard off to the side of the hook at the top of the mast to reduce friction.
3.) pull the sail up until it gets hard to pull.
4.) Get a new hold on the halyard as high up as you can reach with one hand. Now with the other hand push the closest batten cap up the mast to pre-feed the sail. It should go up easier.
5.) repeat until the sail is up.
6.) put the halyard in the hook at the top of the mast.

Pre feeding the sail up the mast as you raise it helps a lot and will make your sail last longer because you wont rip the luff of the sail as easily. Remember the sail is trying to bend the mast as it goes up. I don't like to lube the sail because it picks up dirt and turns black. I have cleaned the mast luff track with a rag with a little silicone on it. Clean is good. New sails from Hobie have teflon stitched bolt rope that helps too.

cheers
Bill
2004 H16 109892
1985 H14 52279
1985 H14 63087
1988 H17 6386