Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just got back from the beach and did a little damage to my 16. The lower support for the rudder (Gujean sp?) pulled out of the hull. My question is how to repair. I believe that there is a stainless plate on the back of the two hulls that is tapped for the bolts to thread in to. Once they have pulled out, can you just retap the holes and go to the next size up? If this does not work, I have seen the repair ports cut into the hulls for a through bolt repair. Any suggestions and or websites where I can view repair information is appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thick&Quick wrote:
Any suggestions and or websites where I can view repair information is appreciated.

Not sure if it would work, but you might try a toggle bolt and then make sure to fill the hole with caulk or something? At least then you wouldn't have to cut an inspection port. Good luck broly.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You've got the idea, Quick! On my H-16 at least, the stock gudgeon screws are size 12 SS, which are hard to come by. Fortunately, one quarter inch diameter screws are just a tad larger and readily available at your local hardware store, West Marine, etc. Get the screws and a quarter inch tap and it's an easy task. You shouldn't even need to enlarge the holes in the gudgeon, just tap through the gelcoat, glass, and backing plate at the transom. The only difficulty you may have is that the non-stock screw heads may be a little larger than you would prefer (won't easily clear the round portion of the gudgeon). If this is the case, try putting the screws in the gudgeon holes and wiggling the head past the round part of the gudgeon before you ever thread the screws into the holes you tapped in the transom. Hope this helps!

Jerome
Clinton, Mississippi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

The gudgeon back-up plate is Aluminum. There are two square plates. One for the upper and one for the lower. These are inside the hull and lightly glassed in.

The material layers from outside to inside would be:

Gel Coat
Glass
putty
Plywood
Putty
Aluminum
Glass

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)