Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Foot Straps
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a 1981 H16 with a solid vinyl orange tramp in faded, but great condition. The foot straps sewn onto the tramp however, are badly worn and begin to tear apart under the slightest force. Because of this, I don't use them. I would like to keep the tramp and consider replacing the straps. Should I even bother? Does anyone ever use these? If yes, what is the best method of replacement?

Thanks Bill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Actually, I do like to use the footstraps for hiking. Keeps me more solidly on the boat during squirrely conditions.
The best repair I saw utilized auto seat belts that had been sewn in by someone with a sail repair shop. Also saw grommeted holes where the original attachment points had been and then threaded with a rope wrapped in some sort of pipe insulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I use them occasionally, but I'm not sure it is often enough to justify the effort or expense. I guess the real answer is if YOU use them! If you find your feet digging in under the tramp straps, then replace it. If not, don't worry about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only time I used the footstraps was when I was crew in high winds. I'd be crouched under the boom hanging onto one during tacks so I didn't slide to the other side of the boat.

As peter mentioned its all preference. Some people use the hiking straps alot, others don't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hobieokc is right. The first cat I had in the 70's needed hiking straps, so I went to an auto salvage yard and bought the seat belts out of a junk car for probably $5.00 and it was enough for both sides. I think I used dacron sail thread and sewed it myself and it held up as long as I owned it. You pretty much get your choice of color at the salvage yard. They might even have some orange belts from an old Gremlin, or a VW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought some nylon webbing and had an upolstry shop sew them on the tramp for me, (after I took it off). It think it cost me about $30.00 altogether. Just make sure they are not sewn on too flat or tight, or it will be hard to get you feet under the straps.
John G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great suggestions! I am inclined to start with the rope and pipe insulation method. It could be adjusted as needed and I wouldn't have to make more holes in the tramp from sewing.

Thanks for the feedback!

Bill