Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: leaking
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i removed the plugs and about 5-6 gallons of water poured out of my right hull. now i know that the original owner told me i leaked a little and was wondering if it was time to re fiberglass the bottom or is this just normal :?: [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:12 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

5-6 gallons is a lot of water - about 40-50 lbs worth.

You need to find the leak. For that much water, it's probably in an area that's constantly underwater - like the bottoms.

Post subject: leaks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you get that much water in each hull and flip, it you run a good chance of have the bows or sterns sticking up out of the water instead of being on it side. Then your messed up because you'll never get it back up without being towed in and demasting it that way to get out of the water
I put 5psi air from my compressor into the drain holes and soap the hulls to find leaks.

Buxton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yeah when i tried to pull it up on the beach it was really heavy because i can usually just pull it right up but today i couldent get up at all so i got the stern out of the water and proped up the front and watch the water drain out i have a good idea of were the leak is on the right side. also taking into consideration the fact that this was the first time since i got it about a month ago that i pulled out the plugs. i usually go out every day. and i had flipped it over and it stayed like that for about 30 minutes with the right side almost under water with me standing on it tryin to right it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

If you had it on its side that long you may have a leak around the pylon also.That is a good idea with the soap and air pressure but be very careful not to put more pressure than 5psi,I actually go withabout 3psi,you dont need much.It is not hard to split the seam with too much air pressure.
Hope this helps,my 16 had a small split right down the centerline that I couldnt see but 3hrs sailing would put about 4 gallons in the hull.
shawn
82 H18 #8211
Div3

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Look all around the hull at the deck lip for hairline cracks in the gel coat. Then check underneath the edge for a crack in the deck lip seam. A deck lip crack can leak that much since the leeward hull rides so low on a 16. A blow to the deck lip will flex the gel coat enough to crack it but not the fiberglass. It will however pop the seam.

Seal with silicone rtv or epoxy.

If the bottoms are leaking, all the water will leak out on the trailer.

If you still can't find it, remove the rudder and hull plug and blow up the hull like a balloon. Have a friend listen for escaping air.

cheers
Bill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is also a good idea to take the plugs out after every sail and prop up the trailer to drain the hulls. Even the tightest hulls usually have some water in them. Fiberglass, even protected with gel coat will absorb water over time and weaken and weigh down your hulls. If you leave it inside where the fiberglass is unprotected by gel coat, it will absorb water even faster. Water absorbtion will also promote delamination (death for a hobie). Saturated fiberglass is weaker and heavier, decreasing both structural performance and speed. Never a good idea to leave the plugs in over time. Leave the hulls open to promote drying and circulation when not actually in the water.