Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rigging Questions
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am trying to move up in class from an abandoned Sunfish which I made shipshape an old 16' in the same shape. I have couple of questions. Answers or pointers to web resources would be great!

1. How is the mailsail clew (back end of the sail?) supposed to be attached to the boom?
2. The mail sail will only raise 2/3 or 3/4 of the way to the top. The luft (front edge of the sail at the mast?) is not jammed where it feeds in. Any suggestions? Lubricate the luft cord or track in the mast? Lubricate the top of the mast?
3. If I have to unstep the mast, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance!

MickeyB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Mickey best answers I can give to your ?'s-
1) the outhaul line threads around the aft cap of the boom and thru a jamcleat under the boom forward of the mainsheet bail(s).
2) try standing farther forward of the boat when you raise the sail- older boats have a reefing stop on the wire part of the main halyard, sometimes that hangs up.
3) I assume that youre asking how to drop the mast- If your boat has a step link its easy- face the boat down a hill steep enough to feelthe forestay slacken,put a 3/16 clevis pin thru the hole in the link marked 16and thru the mast base, carefully unpin the stay,climb aboard gently and lower the mast- earlier boats are similar, but the mast base is kind of a hook.
You might want to go to a Hobie dealer and get a copy of the "Hobie 16 Assembly manual" this'll answer a ton of questions
Good luck, Dave