Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So my roommates and I decided to move from Oregon to Chicago. Problem was that we all have our toys and can't bare the thought of any dents, dings or scratches on any of them. So we got a 26' moving truck and devised a never-before-done method of putting a Porsche and Hobie 16 (with mast) in while leaving a little bit of room for some furniture and clothes.

Problem was that the 26' truck turned out to be more like 24' which meant that the mast had to go diagnolly across the inside and barely fit with inches to spare.

We bubble-wrapped the entire boat and secured it and then set the tramp on the mast over the car.

Pretty cool. Everything made it in 1 peice - the boat trailer was dissasembled and fit underneath the car just barely. That car rides pretty low and only cleared the trailer frame by about 1/2".

Unfortunately both the Porsche and the Hobie got a couple dings here and there. Pretty much anywhere the Hobie touched anything it marked.

Oh well - as long as it still outruns power boats I 'spose that's ok!

I won't tell you which moving truck company we rented from but I will say that we broke pretty much every rule in the rental agreement.

Anybody else have a cool moving story?

G

Post subject: Moving stories!
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I had to move my Hobie 16 and a couch and loveseat from Gimli, Manitoba to Kingston, Ontario. We wrapped the couch in plastic and put it on the trailer on a slight angle and then lifted the cat over top. The couch just barely fit but it made it. The love seat just fit in the back om my Plymouth Voyager and all the other boxes were then JAMMED in the van. I then mounted and filled my roof box, one of the big ones, with stuff and we shoved the mast up as far forward as was needed to fit into the SS Badgers lower price range for trailers, as we were taking the ferry across Lake Michigan. The mast had about 2 inches of clearance over the roof box and every window in the van was completely blocked. we had a seven day transfer permit on the trailer that was only good in Canada and I was unsure of the trailers capability of making it. Of course, all went off without a hitch and we made the complete trip in under 26 hours. I probably should have taken pictures, but we were in such a panic that it never crossed our minds. If you live in North Dakota, Minniapolis, Michigan, or Ontario, you may have seen me along the way, stopping every 200 miles to check the bearings or rip off anouther piece of frayed plastic.