Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have owned a 1975 Chrysler Pirateer (13' monohull) for years. It's been good to me, but in a freak accident a couple weeks ago, I lost my rudder and it sank (the rudder, not the boat). I couldn't find a replacement, so I used the accident as an excuse to purchase an older (mid 70's?) Hobie 16. The boat is in fair to good shape, and is complete. Sails are in good condition. Cost me $300, for boat and trailer.

I'm taking it out for the first time this weekend. I've sailed this lake before in my Pirateer. What will the major differences be between the two boats? Both rigging and sailing. I'm launching from a sandy beach. The lake typically gets winds between 15-25 MPH, with gusts to 60 MPH. I've got the instruction manual, and it seems pretty straightforward, I just don't want to get up there and run into trouble.

Thanks! :D

Bonnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well, I'm a bit of a H16 novice myself, but I can tell you a few things that might help.

1) 60MPH gusts?! Heh. Be careful!
2) The Hobie will be harder to tack than your monohull. I often have to back the jib to get the nose around.
3) The website says we have 215sqft of sail area. My friend's Spirit 21 only has 190sqft including his big-ass genoa. So... I'm not sure how much sail area your old boat has but the H16 probably has a lot more - be prepared for the power.
4) Read lots of this forum and I'm sure you'll learn a lot quickly.
5) Have fun!
6) Your humble respondant admits to far less knowledge than many other people on this board so I defer to their superior experience if they say anything that contradicts me. :)

Warm regards,

Jim
---------------
Hull #3404
Sail #3403