Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solo H16 Sailing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Who sails their H16 solo regularly here and into how much wind-I guess the limit is even you can right it by ones self or not! I am thinking about purchasing a 16 or adding a jib to my 14. She would smoke em' with a jib, but its like $500 for the hardware (less if I take out the trap equipment which I just got anyway) and $300 for the jib-thats a late 70's H16, but I would prbly want a newer (90's) "race ready" version. I guess the deciding factor will be the solo performance and the racing fleet in my area.

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've got both a 16 and a 14. Generally if it's much over 15 and I wanna solo, I stick to the 14. The 16 gets a little unmanageable solo in much above that. Also, my usual way to depower the 16 is to sail it sans jib, when the wind's up there tend to be waves, and it gets really hard to tack with no jib and waves! My main fear has always been flipping the 16 and being unable to right it- however, 2 weeks ago, my friend and I pitchpoled his 18 in 18-19 knots(I was skippering) and the boat basically blew back upright as soon as we got the mast into the wind- so much for that fear! The 16's waaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than the turbo- I think I'd get an older 16 and keep the 14 for those screaming days when you know youre going over-it's paid for isnt it?
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hmm-according to Hobie (an older sales brochure) the wave does like 18 mph top and the 16 does like 21 mph top (it was some what conservative and not specific about speed exactly). I figure I can do 3-4 mph than a wave, maybe 5 if I push it. That puts me in a 16 boat speed range, but I also think it does more than that any way. Yeah, my boat was bought outright, so thats not a problem. I think I might consider a Tiger, since I heard someone gps verify his speed at 7.5kts UPWIND in a 5kt breeze-their may have been some current he didn't factor in though. The only problem is they aren't exactly cheap..

Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

HI there..

I solo my 16 just about all the time and I have been out in some strong wind with it and sailed it just fine. I can right my 16 by my self pretty good also. ( weigh in at 260) I can say for certain that I have gps tracked my 16 at 20 mph going up wind. I do not know what the wind was blowing that day.

One thing that you didn't mention is how much to you weigh??? that is a big factor in righting the 16..

Mark Colby
1973 H16
Jackson, MI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think I am going to keep my 14 and start looking for a nice 16...the problem is going to be righting it, since I weigh 155 (not enough to right my 14, and yes the mast is sealed). I will try again this year, and try the bucket as well, but I would like to be able to do it without one.

Sam

Post subject: I'm a solo rider ...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I like to sail the 16 solo. The max. wind is for me about 8-10 m/s (danish messure :lol: ) ...

I'm also fearing to flip over in the harder wind. I've never tried to pull it up solo yet.... I've only been sailing the Hobie this year.

I find it hard to go into the trapez in harder wind when I sail solo. Any good ways to do this ???

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 9:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

BIG air for me Solo or not. I have been sailing a 16 for 20+ years off and on. White cap, shroud streching wind for me any time! :shock: Sheet in Max Out!

Yes I weigh 210 now but I was a skinny kid when I learned to sail and flip my 16 solo.

Post subject: solo
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I too have both the 16 and 14 turbo. I won't swear that the 16 is waaaaaaay faster than the 14t. I think its a bit faster though, but without crew, it can be a mess for some people. I converted my 14 to turbo using stock parts and I spent about $400 when it was all said and done. The dolphin striker was about $65, furler and bridle wires I got luck on ebay for $50, the jib was a little tougher, but I got a nice one from Chris J. in San Diego for like $175, the upper forstahy was like $25, jib blocks $40, jib block support wire was $35(plus I had to re-do the sidestay holder on thingy so you could attatch the jib block support wire) then the trap wires and handles were used at about $35. Oh yea, a jib sheet, I guess it was about $10 and shortened off an old 16. I am sure there is something I am not thinking of, but that is the jist of it.
The boat tacks really fast and moves through the water at an incredible rate in high wind. She won't point as high as when the uni rig is on, but it goes like a bat outta.....Just watch those hulls going down wind! Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail my H-16 solo all the time. and I am allways one of the fastest cat's on the bay... I weigh between 169 - 185 lbs. This summer I capsized it when I was out by myself for the first time.

I have a righting bucket, but I need to shorten the rope (So It was no help)

I had the mast about 5 tip about 5 feet underwater, and nobody on their jetski could understand what I wanted when I asked them if then could lift the mast (Go Figure). I was able to walk to the far back of the hulls with the righting line, and the the boat actually went completely turtle (UH OH!) but I stayed in the back of the boat until the sterns where both completely underwater, and some how I got the idea to jump on the aft crossbar, this enabled the boat to go turtle, and come up the other side, with the mast completely floating (YEAH!).

Now the trampoline was blowing my boat towards shore, and I was able to get off the boat, and holding onto the shrouds I was able to walk the boat back upright.....

So I lucked out BIG TIME, then I went back out there and kicked some butt!

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I weigh about 165 and using Murray's smaller righting bag I can get the boat up by myself, although in light winds it's pretty tough. If you read my other post on Friday, I pitchpoled in ~20mph winds and the boat righted itself as soon as I was on the righting line; my crew was about to get up and help me but it wound up being unnecessary. As soon as the wind got under the sails, up it came!

Jim