Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Greetings fellow anglers . I’m outfitting my hobie outback with a large fish cooler bag . I don’t see much places existing as is to secure it while on water . I don’t plan on needing to access front hatch while fishing . I see there is two sets of holes right below front hatch on port and starboard sides . For you hobie experts are these existing holes for pad eyes and are all pad eyes the same size for hobie . What size pad eyes should I go with ? I wanna use stainless more durable .

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Exactly the same problem I got. Also have an outback, got an H crate on the back but it's too small to put the bigger fish in so I got a large fish bag but can't figure out where to keep it. I tried lashed over the front hatch but too dificult trying to get fish into it.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think that you'll find that it's a big hassle to pull out your Mirage Drive and slide way forward in the cockpit of your Outback in order to stuff fish into a soft-sided catch cooler mounted on top of the front hatch of the kayak. And in wind and waves, it will feel unsafe and tippy to slide forward to get access to a catch cooler strapped on the front hatch of an Outback, particularly since a catch cooler full of ice and fish on the front hatch will reduce the stability of the kayak.

I strap a hard sided cooler in the rear cargo area of my Revolution and my 12' Pro Angler 36 for fish. I have several different sized coolers which I use, depending on the size and number of fish which I expect or hope to catch. A hard sided cooler is easy to get into, holds a lot of ice and fish, and is easy to clean out. I strap my coolers in with four straps and mini carabiners. Because they are right behind my seat, they don't affect the trim of my kayak very much.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good morning everyone, I have it tied up with some rubber bands and a carabiner. A carabiner in the front, where the handle is attached, and then on the sides where the guides are on both the left and right, and it doesn't move at all. All the best

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello. I've outfitted two Outbacks with a large 20" x 26" kill bag from Reliable Fishing Products (great product, very well made).

This is easily mounted on the bow if you don't mind hiding access to the front hatch. What I did was install two padeyes along each side of the bow, aligned with the attachment points on the fish bag. I then attached small 5"x2.75" 304 Stainless steel carabiners to the attachment points on the bag, which I can then quickly clip on and off the carabiners. I also use a larger carabiner to attach the front handle of the bad to the carry handle right at the very tip of the bow.

With this installation, it's simply to zip open the bag and slide fish in or out. It's worked like a charm on both my old 2016 outback and my newer 2021 outback.

https://reliablefishing.com/collections ... -kayak-bag

It ends up installing very similar to this. If you look closely in this image (this is _not_ me, I just found the image online) you'll see little rings at the bottom of the bag. On my kayak I connect those rings to padeyes I installed right below them, using small carabiners

I use the YakAttack snagless slotted padeyes; they're very low profile which I like. Be sure so use silicone under them when screwing them in to maintain a water tight seal.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just to avoid confusion about the photo, it's a PA-14.