Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Copied from another thread that was asking about how to straighten a bent mast.

I have a problem with the "bounce" technique of mast straightening.
You run the risk of overdoing it in the other direction, or "kinking" the mast.

I have used two other techniques that I like a lot better.

The first is to place the mast on a couple of strong stable platforms, possibly saw horses, line them up with the base of the mast and a point near the mast hound, NOT on the comp tip. and then place a ratcheting strap at the point of maximum bend, with a short length maybe 18 inches of 2X4 to spread the load so that you are not "point loading" the mast.

Anchor the other end of the racheting strap to the ground, using a sand screw or some other method of getting a firm, strong and stable connection.

Then start racheting downwards in measured increments occasionally relaxing the strap and sighting down the luff track to check your progress, going a little further down each time until you have gotten the mast straight.

The second method I have used with a great deal of success is to place the mast under a couple of anchor points, (I Used the trailer hitches of a couple of trucks parked side by side and lined up with the base of the mast and a point near the mast hound, NOT on the comp tip.)

Then place a floor jack or a bottle jack at the point where the bend inthe mast is greatest, once again use a short length of 2X4 to spread the load and avoid "point loading", and begin jacking up on the bend, stopping occasionally and relieving the pressure and checking for straightness by sighting down the luff track. Proceed carefully, in measured increments so that you get it straight without overdoing it.

I have had excellent results using these methods.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I too have a bent mast. Short story, when I bought the boat, the trailer wasn't great, and the mast support failed. I anchored the mast to the hobie frame, but the front of the mast (which is the base) still had enough length to "bounce" the entire way home. maybe 12 miles. So needless to say I have a 8-10 straight mast from the base up, a bend and another 20 or so feet of straight mast. It is a slight bend, maybe 2" off center, and very focal. No kinking. I have sailed with it about 6 or so times.

SO that being said, I've tried putting it up on sawhorses and ratchet strapping it down, but my screw keeps coming ungrounded... So I'm going to have to try the "jacking up" trick, but I don't have a couple trucks with trailer hitches.

I was able to get the bend inverted about the same amount before the screws failed, but it didn't do anythign to straighten it.

I'm forturnate at least, that I have another mast if I break this one. BUT this one is a comp tip, and the other isn't. I would. however, like to recoup some money on my *expensive* hobby by selling one of the masts, if and when I straighten the comp tip one.

I have pics of my sawhorse attempt, I will post them once I upload them to my comp...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mast update. Well, I needed the steer manure for the garden and replaced it with 3 - 70 lb bags of sand. The mast appeared a bit straighter. I check the mast once a week and it looks like it might be working. My next step is to move my set-up out into the open in the sun (currently it is under a deck on the north side of the house). :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

SUCCESS!!!! The wratcheting down didn't work, so when a friend came over tonight with his truck, we did the "jack up" trick. We ultimately bent it at least 3x the amount it was bent the other direction, but it's straight now!!! I had at least 1 1/2" bend in it to begin with. Like others, I'm amazed at how freakin' hard it is to bend a mast, even when you're trying!!! I jumped, pulled pushed, bent twisted and even called its mom some names, and it took a 2 1/2 ton hydraulic jack to bend it enought to straighten it. Sorry, I didn't take pictures, becaue I didn't think it was going to work... But I have a before and after pic I'll post when the rain stops... Good luck, Hope this helps some Hobie lovers.

Post subject: Re: slightly bent mast
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I too had an existing bend 8 feet up the 27 foot comp tip mast..

We anchored it to the fence posts, bend down, and placed cinder blocks and a work table under the bend.
Using a soft wood 4x4 jig to place between the mast and a hydraulic screw jack, slowly raising the bend up and marking height of the "jacked" mast on the fence, then letting the jack down to check our progress.
Slowly the bend moved up a bit then out of the mast.

We had to keep positioning the mast on the fence, to keep the bend in the center of our work table/jack.

Now we will see if this season the mast is still strong, or if it lost some strength in the process..
-robbie