Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H17 Balance
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail my Hobie 17Sport regularly and this weekend past people kept asking if I had water in the hulls because it was sailing very stern heavy. I sail 2 up as we are a light crew. Whilst sailing we did comment on the fact that the bows were both rearing up in 20 - 25mph wind. I guess its better than pitchpoling (my old trick).
Can anyone give me any ideas as to why the boat would rear up - the hulls are definitely empty and the boat hasn't had any funky modifications - any pointers or advice would be appreciated. the H17 is such a cool boat but I want it to look cool from the shore as well! Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sailing single-handed, I often position myself at the front of the wing in order to keep it flat and avoid stern drag. If you measured and drew a vertical line at the exact mid point of the boat (fore to aft), and then you and crew boarded, would you normally be fore or aft of the line? The farther aft, the more the sterns would sink and bows would rise.

The 17 is not all that buoyant, and with you and a crew, I would expect minor fore to aft positioning changes to to have a pronounced effect on how the boat looks on the water.

Peace,

Dan Peake
03 H17SE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Dan. I'm pretty new to cat sailing and it does sound like we are positioning ourselves too far aft. I'll try moving the weight forward and see what happens. Our main problem has been pitchpoling so we probably do adopt a position further back to keep the leeward hull from diving down - we have both had some epic bruises from our exploits. Thanks for the advice, I'm looking froward to getting out at the weekend. Jon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you previously sailed a H16 and sailing the H17 the same way, then you are probabily sitting too far back on the H17Sport. When I switched over 4 years ago I did the same thing, fearing a pitchpole. I have since changed my ways. I sail quite often in 20+ winds with 2-4 ft waves and found when pointing I (and crew) have to sit on the front of the wing to keep the boat level. I round up in gusts then fall back off as it subsides. The boat points well when the hulls are level (bow relative to stern). The bow will plow the wave tops a bit, but it has enough boyancy to pop back up. On a reach I sit mid or a bit farther back and on a broad reach I'm planted usually as far back as I can go. The only times I've pitchpoled on the 17 to the point of a capsize is on broad reaches either in gusty conditions or plowed into a wave back. Good sailing 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the advice. I've never sailed a Hobie 16, the 17 is my first cat. I'm having a great time and feel like I'm improving each time I go out. Last weekend I tried to be more forward and it does improve the handling. I just need to try it in a real blow with crew onboard.