Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New hobie I-cat
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

Any news on the I-cat in the US? Will the boat be available there? What do you guys think about it?

http://www.hobie-cat.net/img/news/icat_paris.jpg
http://www.hobie-cat.net/img/news/icat_paris2.jpg

Gill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I really want to know what it weighs.

Somebody on Catsailor was told the iCat would cost 17,500 Euro, which means the boat is going to be at least $25k in the US. That doens't include the spinnaker, or a jib. Very cool though, it looks like the hull shape is the same, but its tough with the dark colour and the from a picture though. It doesn't have the decks like the FXone either.

Looks like from the specs that it is 2" narrower, and 2" longer than the FXone. or, its a typo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I heard that I will weigh about 100kg. Not bad for a cat that size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

100kg = 220 lbs. That thing will be wicked if thats the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Price will be around 17.500 according to Hobie Europe. No confirmation about the weight. For a carbon cat (alu mast) it should be around 100 kgs.
I also guess the information enclosed is the correct info:

HOBIE code name « CARBON »
Technical data
􀂃 Length : 5,25 m
􀂃 Width : 2,55 m
􀂃 Mast height : 8,50 m
􀂃 Main sail area : 16 m²

The cat sure looks nice, but any idea what the strategy is behind this?
They built a nice cat, but not out of any possible class (not FX One, not F16, not 1.04 (sort of 'class' in France), .... I don't understand what the target group is. I'm guessing, you love the FX One, so you continue in that class or you want something lighter with the same specs -> you buy a cheaper cat that is part of a world wide class -> F16.

Gill[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure what the thinking is behind it. If I were HCE I would have made it F16 compliant. It'd still be an expensive option for F16 though. I'm sure they could find a way to add 10lbs of weight as well to get it up to F16 minimums :D , or maybe adding a spinnaker is enough to do this. Who knows.

I was talking to another sailor about the iCat last week, we both came to the conclusion it'd be nice having a 220lb 17ft boat. A full 100lbs lighter than the FXone. It's gotta be a rocket, the FXone has a sandbag rating. Loosing that much weight would definetly put a smile on my face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Karl,

Just buy an F16 if you want a fast and light boat... ;-)

I hope to sail an I-cat this summer in Holland, I'll tell you what it feels like!

Regards,
Gill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl Brogger wrote:
I'm not sure what the thinking is behind it. If I were HCE I would have made it F16 compliant. It'd still be an expensive option for F16 though. I'm sure they could find a way to add 10lbs of weight as well to get it up to F16 minimums :D , or maybe adding a spinnaker is enough to do this. Who knows.

I don't think the F16 is on the radar in France, but maybe Gill can change that by continuing to race at Carnac... :wink: :P

Regardless, seems like the F104 thing has been dormant for a while so maybe the HCE thinking is start a new OD class with old molds...making a new, lightweight boat without really designing a new boat, just changing construction materials and methods. Keeps them out of the formula class (or A class) arms race, IF the class takes off and is successful. They wont have to introduce the J-cat, to replace the I-cat, in five years to "keep up" with the competition (ala Tiger and Wildcat).

...and doesn't the EUR to USD exchange rate just BLOW!!!

Who knows?..certainly not me :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

actually the exchange rate has settled down pretty well. about $1.28 = 1 Euro. That beats the pants off of $1.65

This is not a FXone hull shape. Its longer, the bows are different, the 2 deck panels on each hull are gone, and from the crappy 3D rendering pics it looks like its using a waaayyy longer board. It looks real similar from the pics, but I bet if you put the two side by side it would be really noticable.

People think the FXone is spendy, tack another $5k on the price and only stupid people like me buy them. I wouldn't hold my breath for a class to develop. Who know's though, A-cats aren't cheap and their 2nd in numbers only to probably the cheapest racing class the H16. (I don't really count waves, all though I should)

I also wish they would've picked a better name. iCrap is the first thing that comes to mind. Having a last name that is so easily associated with bouger and getting teased through childhood make me think on names.

I tried to duplicate the camera angle, but theres a wall in the way and I'm honestly too lazy to move the boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
This is not a FXone

Well "blow me down!", very interesting indeed.

ps I will read all the previous posts before posting, I will read all the previous posts before posting, I will read all the previous posts before posting... :oops: ps