Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I finally took my FX1 out on the water today (first time; finally!.)

Interesting day: Leaving the dock, I immediately bent the hell out of the 5/8-11 rudder toe adjuster, returned to the dock, stole the one from my 17. Launched again, got out about a half mile, the speed was amazing - trapped-out, keeping my weight far forward like on the 17; then like disk brakes, the bows nosed in, and I pitch-poled.

I am surprised at just how fast the FX1 sails on its side in 15 - 20 kts. I had about 90 seconds to right and sail away before hitting a massive wooden freight pier. I hit it. Rescued. No damage, just a half an hour with acetone to remove all the creosote. I am strongly considering wings now.

Addressing an earlier topic: I found that in 15kts - with gusts to 20kts, I can right the FX1 myself (182lbs). I am still curious about lower winds.

So my questions:
- Something that slightly contributed to the pitch-pole was the latency between the time I released the main sheet, and the time it took to fully spool out. The system is FX1 stock, 8:1, using 13 to 17mm black/yellow line (really beefy) which seems overkill and reluctant to snake through the blocks. I am wondering if anyone has used a 6:1 and what the results were? Is there a decent way to loosen-up a crusty, stiff sheet (I have a memory of someone advising a solution based on baking soda to loosen crusty lines - has anyone heard of this solution?)

-My weight was probably too far forward. On my 17, I was at the front of the wing most of the time, keeping the lee bow about 50% under (when the winds were steady) I faintly recall someone saying the FX1 bow should be 75% buried, which is where I had it before the pitch-pole. I now wonder if I understood that advice correctly.

I am really pleased with the speed and handling of the FX1, I can't wait to get out again!

Peace,

Dan Peake
Campbell, CA
2003 H17
2005 FX1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Get a tappered main sheet. It will make a world of diffeence.

I used Warp Speed, but there are other brands you can use.

The stock main sheet doesn''t go thru those 57mm blocks well even when new. It will also let you tack beter when the sheet flows out durring the tack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always put new main sheets in the sink with water and fabric softener (liquid not sheet kind) to loosen them up a bit. Just rinse them good when you're done so its not slippery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tapered is the way to go. I tapered the main on my tiger for the same reason. Tell Jeremy to make you one if you can't do the taper yourself.
He made a pretty nice one for my tiger.

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/f-185150sailing/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the advice.

Today Jeremy mentioned that he rarely used the sheet, relying more on the traveler. I'll have to get used to that. But I think the advice on the fabric softener is the way to go.

Any FX1 guys out there with weight distribution pointers?

Best,

Dan Peake
Campbell, CA
2003 H17
2005 FX1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Post a pic!

Edit: ...more pics of some the basics would be appreciated. The assembly manual's pics are limited. Plus there are few close-up pics even on the google searches.

And not you eating chicken! The boat eating chicken!

Sixth pic down (link below) that Karl posted has the best view of shroud/bridle rigging of anything that I have seen --

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=11780[/url]

Last edited by JJ on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

pics: Of my FX1?

I have never taken a glamour shot of any of my boats, but it would be fun to get a pic of both on trailers next to each other. Maybe with me trapped out on one, tiller of the other in hand, while eating a piece of chicken or something.

I'll try to remember to bring the camera to the port next week.

Peace,

Dan Peake
Campbell, CA
2003 H17
2005 FX1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan, I sail almost entirely on lakes, so really flat water in comparison to the bay or the ocean. In flat water I try to run with the tip just about under water. Where it curves down from the deck to the bow, when you get it right a little ribbon of spray comes off of it. I've stuck it a few times going upwind, but never pitchpoled going to weather, but I pinch pretty hard when the wind is really up.

Rough water, like the tight 5 foot chop I experienced on Lake Superior, weight in the back, way back.

Going up wind I'm usually trapped out just behind the front crossbar, which for me is tough, I'm still brainwashed from the 14/16 that you have to have your weight back when going to weather in any wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a picture of the bows down in realatively light stuff,
Yeah I know, I am traped up to high.

Here is another picture, diffeent angle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan P. wrote:
I am strongly considering wings now.

I really like the wings, but the extra weight definetly does bog the boat down. I sailed it one day with no wings, and no spin. It accelerates like a bastard upwind losing that 60lbs.

I also wouldn't consider anything other than the comfort wings. The angle is sweet, all you do is lift up your legs and go flying in from the wire when you tack. The style that the 18's and 17's have are a pain to climb down from in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ooooh, almost forgot. How'd you like that first tack Dan? The little bugger tacks like a raped ape doesn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the pics and advice.

Yes Karl, that thing can really tack! The sexual abuse of primates did not initially occur to me because of the marine setting, but your clarification helped me to see that the 17 would sexually harass apes, where the brutish FX1 with those long daggerboards...

Weight distribution/blocks: clearly, I am going to move aft a little the next time I go out. Jeremy mentioned that he leaves the sheet alone once set, and instead uses the traveler for the emergency release. Interesting concept, I can see the good in it; is this common practice?

Wings, even at 60lbs, seem like a good idea for me, as a sea anchor. It took a fair amount of strength and grip to drag myself up the trap line to the mast tang, then down the shroud to the hull, while the boat was probably doing 3+kts.

What are the main differences between the sport and comfort wings?

Peace,

Dan Peake
Campbell, CA
2003 H17
2005 FX1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan P. wrote:
What are the main differences between the sport and comfort wings?

Sport wings are just a bar that sticks out 12" on either side. The FXone in this video has them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcmc2ma8TA8

The comfort wings are the one that I have. They go out about two feet, and up probably eight inches. Downside is if you lift the windward hull much more than this they will drag.

The wings that I have add 36lbs to the boat. Without the wings and spin I lose about 60lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice pics, Mike.

The FX and the ICat look a lot alike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks for the video link Karl.

The open structure of the sport wing, while cooler looking, would not, while capsized, create anywhere near the drag of the webbed "comfort wings" (which sounds like part of a hygiene product). Since my interest in wings is partially in slowing down the capsized boat so I can swim to catch it if I get separated, I will probably opt for the "comfort", nope, make that "Endurance" wings.

Mike, you mentioned that you are trapped too high in the pic. If I trapped any lower than that I'd be taking a severe chop beating. How much lower should you go?

By the way, the FX1 has an *extremely* twitchy helm compared to the 17!

Peace,

Dan Peake
Campbell, CA
2003 H17
2005 FX1