Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A couple years back a wind storm flipped my 2000 H17Sport on shore and I had to replace the mast, front crossbeam and standing rigging. When the new gear arrived, I was surprised and delighted to see that the front crossbeam had the integrated track (like the 16s). So I bought a couple of 16 integrated track cars and with slight modification (changed the fixed angle of the sheet cleat to face more aft) and a bit of fabrication (raised the sheet cleating angle 15% and added adjustable car stops and cheek block holder stops) adapted them to my boat. Since then I've been able to adjust the sheeting point of my jib instead of the fixed point that is stock (click on url). http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=61752&g2_imageViewsIndex=0 Now for the questions. What year did the integrated track appear on the H17Sport or was it just added as a replacement part? AND if added, was the track used in a stock set-up or just happened to be there? Thanks 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think the integrated track showed up on the front crossbar just a few years ago (a guess would be around 2005). I'm guessing because I believe the guys that got new 17's from the "last batch" (around 2003) did not have the track in the front crossbar. But my boat, which I got in 2007, does have the track on the front crossbar.

I believe the front and rear crossbar extrusions are the same profile, so using the integraded track on the front crossbar was probably just a means of eliminating one extrusion die or possibly done to use up leftover stock since the 17 is no longer produced. There's really no other reason to have a track in the front crossbar, especially on the 17SE. It does look like it makes a nice addition to the 17 Sport though.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

My 2003 SE (originally a Sport) does not have a jib track.

Peace,

Dan Peake
Campbell, CA
2003 H17
2005 FX1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So it sounds like I have a pretty unique H17Sport set-up with adjustable jib sheeting - Cool