Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 5:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello
I have an '86' H17 and I need to replace my Front Crossbar. This will be the first time the boat as been taken apart. I have a one piece mesh tramp if that makes a difference. Any tips, helpful hints, or step by step instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 8:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out the Hobie 17 assembly manual - you can download it from this site.

You have to take off both crossbars to replace the front crossbar. It's pretty straight forward. Undo the tramp and slide it out of the side tracks. Then remove the four crossbar bolts (one at each end of each crossbar). Then just rock the hulls to the side and they pop right off the crossbars (it's easier with two people but can be done with one). It's a good idea to tighten the screws on the crossbar endcaps when you've got the boat apart. If you've never had the boat apart before, the end caps almost certainly need to be re-tightened.

sm

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
Thank you very much. Yes, this will be the first time for me and my boat.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have taken my hulls apart numerous times. It can be done either on a trailer or on the lawn (flat area). While apart, instead of just tightening the end caps, you might want to remove each screw (3/endcap), apply some silicone seal to the threads and then retighten. This will help to keep them from working loose in the future, but still allows you to remove them later if needed. Also when you put the hulls back together be sure to do it on a flat surface (trailer works well), loosely thread the 4 retaining bolts, then square up the hulls with matching diagonal measures (port bow to starboard stern and starboard bow to port stern) before tightening the bolts. Good luck. 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
Ya know, I was just thinking about where I was going to perform this operation. My boat is currently on the trailer. I didn't know whether to take it off and put it on the lawn or leave it on the trailer. I guess I will try it on the trailer. Thanks for the tip about the alignment. That never crossed my mind. I have been reading the assembly manual to get an idea of how she is put together. I know where the 4 retaining bolts are, I am trying to find the anchor bars. I need to go out and look at my boat. I think they are under tramp on the inside. Stay tuned.

JT from BTV

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 11:59 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

john thomas wrote:
Hi
Ya know, I was just thinking about where I was going to perform this operation. My boat is currently on the trailer. I didn't know whether to take it off and put it on the lawn or leave it on the trailer. I guess I will try it on the trailer. Thanks for the tip about the alignment. That never crossed my mind. I have been reading the assembly manual to get an idea of how she is put together. I know where the 4 retaining bolts are, I am trying to find the anchor bars. I need to go out and look at my boat. I think they are under tramp on the inside. Stay tuned.

JT from BTV

It's a lot more forgiving to do it on the lawn - especially if your're loosening all four bolts. One hull will have a tendency to flop outward when disconnected.

FYI, you don't have to disassemble one corner of the rear crossbar. Just loosen it.

The anchor bars are under the hull lip on the inside of each hull. Get a T-handled Allen wrench - you'll use it a lot.

When you put the boat back together, insert the anchor bars in place and thread the bolts into them (use anti-seize compound). Don't try to insert the bolt all the way, then thread the anchor bar on to it (drawing the anchor bar up). It won't work. Don't ask me how I know.

Aligning a 17 is kind of useless unless you're planning on bedding the crossbars in epoxy. It won't hold an alignment like a glued together 16 or a boat that has two bolts on each end of the crossbars (like the 18, 20 and Tiger).

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi
I found the anchor bars right where you said they would be. What are the Brand names for the "Silicone Seal" and the "Anti-seize compound" that you both have mentioned? Can I get them at my local Hardware/Marine store?

Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:39 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

john thomas wrote:
Hi
I found the anchor bars right where you said they would be. What are the Brand names for the "Silicone Seal" and the "Anti-seize compound" that you both have mentioned? Can I get them at my local Hardware/Marine store?

Thanks again for the help.

Hardware store:

(you don't have to get this exact brand - guaranteed your hardware store will have something similar. Anything with "marine" in the name = $$$)

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the alignment issue, I have to disagree with MBounds. Starting with aligned hulls (with secure endcaps and tight bolts) and adding tight tramp lacing is ALWAYS a better option than not aligning the hulls. Even if they become slightly unaligned, they will be close to true. Regarding silicone, yes, 100% silicone is just that, puting a marine label on the tube just jacks up the price. Also, if you put some silicone on the top of your anchor bars (the side that goes next to the hull lip) they will stay in place under the hull lip the next time you remove the connecting bolts. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello everyone. The latest on replacing my front crossbar asembly. I received the new cross bar assembly from Hobie. The new bar has a channel on the top of the bar, I suspect it is for a 17 sport that has a jib. My original bar does not have the channel because I do not have a jib. So I suspect they sent me the wrong bar. Here is my problem. The new crossbar does not fit my castings because of that channel. My dealer spoke with hobie and they tell me that I need to cut a piece in the casting to accomodate the new crossbar. Do I really need to do that? I am not a machinist so I am very uncomfortable in trying to do this. These castings are very expensive. I can't believe that Hobie does not have a casting to fit the new crossbar. HELP!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:19 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

It is not the wrong crossbar.

Hobie Cat changed to integrated traveller tracks on the 17 in the early 2000's. The front and rear crossbars share the same extrusion profile, so the new front crossbar has a "traveller track" that's unused (even by the sport).

Removing the tab of metal on the end castings is very easy.

Take the casting off the boat so it's easier to work with. Place it in the opening of the new crossbar and mark where the material needs to be removed (two lines from the edge, back to the body of the casting). Put the casting in a vise, or clamp it down so it won't move while you work on it. Use a hacksaw frame:
to cut the lines you marked back to the body of the casting. With the casting still in the vise, hold a big plain-head screwdriver (or punch if you have one) at the edge of the casting between the two cuts. Hit it sharply with a hammer (don't be shy on this one). The "tab" should break off cleanly (casting material is brittle). Use a metal file to clean up the cut.

You don't need to be a machinist to do this. Aluminum is very soft and works easily.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes. Hobie only make one crossbar for the 17 and it now has the integrated track. I had to do the modification MBounds talks about when replacing the crossbar on my 2000 Sport. The method I used was a bit different. I used a Dremel tool with circular saw and a saw like MBounds to do the cutting and then flat filed. Once the cross beam is mounted I used a little black silicone to give it a more finished look (go to link). If you ever decide to add a jib, the integral track cars for the H16 can be easily modified to work well on the 17. I can post the particulars if interested. Good cutting. 8) http://www.thebeachcats.com/index.php?module=pictures&g2_itemId=61752&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi. just getting back to everyone who helped me with my front crossbar. I took her out last weekend and everything went very well. Thank you to everyone for providing me with your expert advice and instruction.
John.