Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am considering a Hobie 17 Sport for light to medium wind lake sailing. I have found some good deals on local used boats. I am 230 and will be sailing alone mostly but want to take a passenger along periodically. I am not interested in a Getaway and respect the opinions of H17 Sailors regarding the capacity of the boat. I have ready some topics that mention the displacement etc. I am not looking to race and it's purely for recreation but the u-boat comments have me a little nervous! Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:56 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

230 is a lot of weight on a 17. I think the wings are only rated for 320#.

On a lake, you'll be fine just farting around. Don't expect stellar performance. Be careful not to overload the wings.

Don't even think about going out where there are waves with that kind of weight on the boat.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a H17Sport and used to weigh upwards of 230 lbs and mostly solo. On occasion I take along a passanger and our combined weight could be as much as 450 lbs. You can really tell the performance falls off with the increased weight, but the boat still sails well. The wings are rated 350 lbs and I usually try not to exceed that. Previously I owned a H16 (20 yrs) and have sailed Bravos, Waves and Getaways. Of the group, the H17Sport is by far my favorite. It is the fastest of the group and performs the best in high wind. Waves are no real problem when soloing. I've sailed in conditions with tight 5+ ft waves and with proper weight distribution have had no problems. With 2 on the boat you do have to back off a little on beam/broad reaches so not to pitchpole, but otherwise there is plenty of flotation. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm about 220lb, sail & race a 17SE. For the most part, I feel pretty competetive at that weight. In medium wind, the lightweight guys will be going faster, but in anything over around 15mph (full-on trapping), the extra weight usually makes for better upwind speed. So I think single handing for you would not be an issue.

I also sailed once with a crew on board (around 155lb) and the boat sat pretty low, was noticably more sluggish, and felt like it was being over-stressed. So in my experience, sailing with a crew is doable, but not ideal.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey sm,

you going to havamega?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

J_Eaton wrote:
Hey sm,

you going to havamega?

Probably not, but then again, you never know.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks everyone and thank you fastcat for some very good information. I put a deposit on a used H17 Sport yesterday and am really looking forward. :D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the fleet (figuratively), glad to be of help. You will enjoy the boat. 8)