Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl Brogger wrote:

Alot of H18's rig the righting line this way. I don't think you are seeing a line installed solely for this purpose.

Stephen- Are you going to Mchonogy, Machogey, Mecohny, what ever that lake in western Nebraska is called, this weekend?

Karl,
I don't recall seeing very many Hobie 18's rigged with a righting line like that unless it doubled as a Chicken line.
Since we don't race B-Marks anymore, almost no one rigs like that anymore. Rigging a line that way is just begging for extra drag when the boat is heeled over.
Yes, I'll be @ McConaughy, Nebraska. Are you planning on being there ? anyone else from your neck of the woods ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

MUST5429:

The idea would be that you wouldn't have to hold the chicken line: one end would be tied onto something on the boat and the other end would be tied to the trap loop (not the trap harness). This line would limit the ability of the loop (and thus you) to move toward the front of the boat. You're right that when sailing solo you wouldn't have a free hand....

Fleet 444

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bock1 wrote:
MUST5429:

The idea would be that you wouldn't have to hold the chicken line: one end would be tied onto something on the boat and the other end would be tied to the trap loop (not the trap harness). This line would limit the ability of the loop (and thus you) to move toward the front of the boat. You're right that when sailing solo you wouldn't have a free hand....

OK, I hadn't thought of tying it to some part of the trapeze, altho, as much as one needs to move forward and aft on the boat to keep the dang thing balanced, it seems like a solution with limited possibilities.
Thanks for offering the thought for others to consider. If I were sailing a 17, that solution wouldn't hold much appeal for me.
I'll shut up now and go back to the forum I belong on. :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MUST5429 wrote:
Yes, I'll be @ McConaughy, Nebraska. Are you planning on being there ? anyone else from your neck of the woods ?

When I typed it originally, yes, I was going. Ten minutes later, no, I'm not going. I think Sohn is planning on coming, but other than that I don't know.

I thought that righting line setup was more common than that, guess not :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Karl,

Here's hoping you can find a way to make it after all. We will have a large # of 17's there for you to race with and against.
Let me know if you are coming so we can be sure and have a trophy for the FX1 Class.

Stephen
MUST429@aol(remove)com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MUST5429 wrote:
Karl,

Here's hoping you can find a way to make it after all. We will have a large # of 17's there for you to race with and against.
Let me know if you are coming so we can be sure and have a trophy for the FX1 Class.

Stephen
MUST429@aol(remove)com

Probably not at this point. The G.F. has been un-employed since February, work has been super slow for me, I've done a crap load of regatta's this year, I'm saving my pennies to get an F16 before November since the FXone class at the Havamega has dissolved on me, and it is virtually impossible for me to not spend $500 every weekend I race. There's probably some other excuse's, I just can't come up with anymore right now.

Good news is, I think my schedule is about to be swamped and I'll be back to working 80+ hrs a week. Of course, all of that could evaporate too.