Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 5:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to outfit my Hobie 17SE (1993) with at spinnaker (an old tiger-spinnaker). Most of the spinnaker-kit will be outfitted like the Hobie 16. I don’t have a jib, only the original forestay/bridle. I’m planning to connect the spinnaker-pole to the two bridle bearings (bridle adjuster) on the hulls, and a small V-line to the forestay/bridle, to keep the pole lifted.

Is the windward hull strong enough to take the main-load from the pole/spinnaker tack?

Can I damage the hull before capsizing?

Regards,
Torben Houborg

Post subject: Be careful
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Torben:

When I was looking a to get other sails for my 17, I looked at a Hooter. I was told it would break the computip mast. That is why I went with the Hobie 17 Sport jib setup and had a 190 sq ft reacher made. I have really enjoyed it. Matt could probably advise you better, but be careful not to break your mast.

Doug

Post subject: Re: Be careful
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 9:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the input. My mast is all aluminium; I hope it is stronger than the computip mast. The Tiger mast is 9 meters, and the Hobie 17 mast is only 8½, so I have to lift the halyard a little. I know the Tiger spinnaker is big, I properly wont use en in heavy weather ;-).

Torben

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Torben!

Im a Swede with a 1987 HC17 LE Turbo (as they where called i Europe, with alu-mast, furled jib, and boom). I have had thoughts of getting a genaker (spinaker) just like the Tiger and I became very curious when I read your message. How did this turn out for you? Did you get a spinaker or did you go for a Reacher (do not fully understand the difference)?
Best Regards Hans

Torben H17 wrote:
I want to outfit my Hobie 17SE (1993) with at spinnaker (an old tiger-spinnaker). Most of the spinnaker-kit will be outfitted like the Hobie 16. I don’t have a jib, only the original forestay/bridle. I’m planning to connect the spinnaker-pole to the two bridle bearings (bridle adjuster) on the hulls, and a small V-line to the forestay/bridle, to keep the pole lifted.

Is the windward hull strong enough to take the main-load from the pole/spinnaker tack?

Can I damage the hull before capsizing?

Regards,
Torben Houborg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Hans,

Sorry, I haven't made any progress – nothing new. I’ve got an old windsurfer mast for pool – that’s all.

Regards.
Torben