Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm looking to buy a new main for my 17 Sport. I have seen references to the Whirlwind Super R Squared. Is this the best option for speed and durability? I want something that can handle the heavy air and still not be too heavy for the light wind days. Looks like there is no tail tail windows. Can you see the leeward tail tails ok no matter which side of the sail the sun is on. Has anyone found a tool to try the different color schemes Whirlwind offers so you know what it would look like before you buy?

Thanks,
Todd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

You can easily see the telltales on both sides of the WW sail. I do like the idea of a "tail tail window" though :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:43 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

tcrowe30 wrote:
I'm looking to buy a new main for my 17 Sport. I have seen references to the Whirlwind Super R Squared. Is this the best option for speed and durability? I want something that can handle the heavy air and still not be too heavy for the light wind days. Looks like there is no tail tail windows. Can you see the leeward tail tails ok no matter which side of the sail the sun is on. Has anyone found a tool to try the different color schemes Whirlwind offers so you know what it would look like before you buy?

Thanks,
Todd

Just ask for them when you order the sail. These things are essentially built to order anyway - it's not like they keep a stock of them on the shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sail a 2000 H17Sport and I've had my Whirlwind SuperR Pentex Squaretop for 2 seasons (~70-80 days sailing) in light to very heavy wind and it is still in very good shape. You can't beat a squaretop for puffy conditions and it is noticeably faster off wind. I ordered mine about this time of year, and being the off season, Chip threw in a set of battens (8) to sweeten the deal. I would change a couple of things if I was to order again. I would have him make the overall luff length of the sail ~ 2-3 inches shorter and I would have the bottom batton pocket extend all the way to the Leech at the Clew.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Location: The Gulf of Mexico at Dunedin, Florida and Sandy Hook Bay, New Jersey
fastcat wrote:
I would change a couple of things if I was to order again. I would have him make the overall luff length of the sail ~ 2-3 inches shorter and I would have the bottom batton pocket extend all the way to the Leech at the Clew.

Why shorter? Can you not downhaul enough? What is problem with batten pocket? I sail with a full boom, would this matter? I am ready to buy this exact sail and info would be helpful.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You might want to visit this site while you are researching. I don't know anyone who has tried these sails, but the H17 main in the pic is seriously nice looking. Made from Dimension Polyant T725 milar/polyester fiber fabric.

http://www.forward-sailing.co.uk/pictures.html

Good luck, let us know what you do.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have looked at this sail many times and thought it was a work of art and would be awesome on the water however a moment of safety with my 13 year old son goes through my head and thinks, power boaters not paying attention will run right over us. It's hard enough for power boaters to see or give right away with a white or colored sail. I grew up in the 80's with a Orange Crush 18 sail and still darn near got ran over. I would love this sell however not at the price of being ran over. I am on an inland lake so that might be different for you all on larger bodies of water. Than again, imagine trapping on an inland lake and taking a quick glance under the boom while you are in the trap and it would be really hard to see a clear sail. Darn it, I am talking myself out of a really cool sail. It reminds me of the days before the comptip and having to look in the air before power companies woke up and moved power lines over bays and launch ramps.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hmmm yeah I suppose you don't need a collision. I notice they do have other fabrics on other boats - maybe they could oblige. The sails are made in China, and they quoted me US$250 shipping! I think that is too high. Shipping to Hong Kong is only US$70, so if you know someone going that way maybe they could bring it back???
But then maybe you could talk to Chip(?) and see what he can do.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Talk to Chip at WW. I had concerns about the luff dimension and the way the bottom batten set up on the 17 sail in the photo gallery (I believe that's fastcat's boat). Chip is aware of these issues and he will build whatever you want. Mine is a "unisex" (boom or boomlet) and it looks & works great. I was concerned about dissimilar materials in the sail stretching differently over time, plus I think the all-grey pentex looks very cool. Mine has navy batten pockets, logo and #, so that scheme is taken, agreed? I think it's plenty 'visible'... if you're really concerned about that, fly a long streamer or flag from the leech.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you are talking about the H17Sport at the top of whirlwinds photos, then yes, that is my boat just getting off the beach. The down haul for the luff was OK, but making the luff 2-3 inches shorter would make for easier side to side transition for the crew (when I have one). Extending the bottom batten pocket all the way to the leach gets rid of a nasty S curve in the bottom leach of the sail. Tell tails are easy to read through the Pentex sails. I had a tell tail window put in the red dacron jib. Good Luck.