Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own a 1986 H17. Over the weekend I launched, forgetting to plug the hulls. I parked the car and returned, heard a hissing sound which finally triggered my memory. I pulled the boat out of the water and the starboard hull fully drained in about 30 seconds, but the port hull took about four minutes to drain a large amount of water, during which I heard a loud flow of air coming from the hull at the casting pocket for the front cross bar.

Am I looking at a known problem with a straight-forward DIY repair? Or is this something unusual or serious? If you know how to remedy this, I would really appreciate your comments and advice. I would also appreciate advice on leak detection and other problem spots to look out for.

Thanks,

Dan

Post subject: Hobie 17 "leak"
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dan, the 1986 Hobie 17 has vent holes under the front cross bar. This is to prevent pressure build up during temperature changes or while traveling over altitude changes. See other posts for leak checks. Do not plug the vent holes.

Caleb Tarleton, Seattle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Caleb,

Thanks for the reply. That is excellent news and also answers questions I had about harmful hull pressure changes due to temperature and altitude changes.

By comparison, my starboard hull took on so little water. I can only guess that the drain plug was semi inserted during launch. If not, then perhaps I have a plugged starboard vent. I'll check that out.

Thanks,

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The vents are needed not just for temp and altitude changes, but for the realtime flexing of the hulls when underway, especially in rough water.