Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just acquired a 1994 Hobie 17. I think this was a Sport with an SE conversion, although it's possible it was the other way around.

My question is about the bolt that holds the rotation limiter to the mast. As you can see from the image below, it looks like there was a hole drilled straight through the mast base for the bolt. No attempt whatsoever to seal around it. When I put the mast in the water, it bubbles out of this hole for a little bit, then stops. I'm thinking that this is just water filling the area at the bottom of the mast below the foam plug, and that this is not a problem.

My question is: Is this how the mast rotation limiter is attached on a "stock" Hobie 17 SE?

Also, do the shock cords for the trapeze wires run outside/under the wings or inside/over?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, that is the correct rotation bar installation, although you might want to move the flat washers so they are between the rotation bar and the mast.

The trapeze bungee can be routed either way, depending on personal preference. The original routing was on the outside of the wing, but most racers tend to run it inside the wing. Inside the wing seems to be a little nicer since when you're sitting on the wing, you reach in front of yourself to grab the the trap ring rather than reaching behind yourself. Also, with the trap run inside the wing, it is less likely to get fouled on your hiking stick. If your run the trap line on the inside of the wing, you will want to add a small block to hold the trap bungee at the outer edge of the hull.

sm