Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Excess flex in my 17
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rudder control is important. If there is a lot of slop in the rudders, you will not be able to hold a course well or stay in the 'sweet spot'. Check the linkages should be very little play. Also be sure to shim between the rudder and rudder housing. I use some homemade 1/8 inch thick Teflon 'fender' washers (one on each side of the rudder) and there is virtually no slop (sweet). Also with the 17 I align the rudders to be parallel, then toe in about 1/2 turn and adjust the rudder rake so there is very little weather helm except when pointing in high wind.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks yet again. I am re-fitting my tillers - there is wobble where the tiller enters the casting. I have profiled my blades and re-painted but have not even looked at the fit for slop. I also have new tiller/crossbar connection. I will make sure the whole system is tight.

I am hopeful of being in the water in 4 weeks followed by e few weeks sorting out, but meantime school has started again so that might interfere a bit. Fortunately sailing is good all year, with SE trade winds 10-15-20 knots and warm waters...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The saga continues. I pulled the boat apart - came easily. There was a powdery residue in the beam recesses that I thought might have once been a construction glue and used during an assembly at some time. It all cleaned out easily.
Some corrosion, especially where the dolphin striker was fixed. After tensioning the striker (easy) I have thoroughly cleaned out the corrosion pits and let in a bit of epoxy, followed by some chopped carbon fiber. I'll probably put some more strips of carbon over the repairs and cross fingers that all that will return my beams to a serviceable condition.

My centre boards are back in, but pretty wobbly when down. I was thinking of packing the inside of the case, near the bottom, with some Teflon strips. Any other ideas appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've noticed wobble in my centerboards also, but it goes away when they are loaded (water pressure). I thought of shimming also, but the beach I launch from is a mixture of fine pebbles and sand and I'm concerned that if it got in above the strips it could jam the centerboards.