Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Decided to get a H17 for play -- the first boat I will have ever owned not to race -- but being a life long monohull person, am fascinated by this class. H17s really look the part of the lean, mean boat!!

I have found a tuning guide for the H17, but nothing in document form addressing boat handling. Is there one, or should I just cull the posts?

Thanks so much. From the posts I have read so far, this is a very helpful, very friendly group. As I figure out what I don't know (which is A LOT!), I will sure be asking for advice!

Brig North
Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For tuning, there really isn't a whole lot to it. Get your rudders working well, set your mast rake so that when you're sheeted in hard in a breeze, the main blocks are within about 2" of each other, and get a good downhaul system that you can adjust from the trap.

There is a section in Rick White's book (Catamaran Racing for the '90's) regarding the 17. I haven't looked at it in quite some time though. General rule of thumb would be to keep the boat trimmed level fore & aft, so the bow is about 1/2 submerged, so move your body weight fore & aft as necessary.

Tacking may be one of the biggest challenges. There's a lot of timing and technique involved, not to mention the physical requirements of getting off the wire, diving under the boom, and getting back out on the wire quickly without blowing the tack.

Otherwise, 17's are pretty easy handling boats and a lot of fun. You're sure to enjoy your new toy.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Try here http://www.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1686. good sailing 8)