Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade Beach Wheels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found the article for making these finally. I made some of these and they work GREAT 8) on soft and hard sand. Not to good on uneven ground. VERY :o light, just lay on hulls and tie to trailer.

http://www.geocities.com/mec_coleman/tip13.htm

Doug Snell
281-326-2702

Post subject: Cool!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love stuff like this. Thanks for posting this link Doug! 8)
-Stephen

PS - I'm in winter mode right now and ski forums but will check here on occaison - otherwise - see ya in the spring :wink:

Have a great Holiday Season

Post subject: Glad to Hlpe
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Let me know how they work out. Just don't put the holes in them he says. Also put a little silicone around the washers and connectors. You will love the wheels. Should be able to find barrels thru a local bottler. Find out who they sell them to? Very light, won't rust or corruce and you save a LOT of money if you don't have uneven ground. Check out our site www.tcdyc.com. Register and join in the forum. Good group of people. :D

Doug Snell
[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

KUDOS! I love improvs like that. Perfect for hard-pack beaches.

The various beach dollies (no names named) have always seemed a bit spendy, and not particularly UV-resistant either. With "disposable" wheels, who cares! Better than bottled Guinness--BRILLIANT!

Post subject: Barrels
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ReefedOne:

You can order the barrels here:

http://www.stores.yahoo.com/baytec/30galfoodgra.html

Glad I could help. We are all trying to save money. I had to bite the bullet and get CatTrax as the uneven ground on the circuit was to much for the homemade ones.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Doug is a one-man real-time on-line encyclopedia... Hobie should pay him. :wink: I've seen the current prices for the "racing" Hobie 16s, so I know they've got the cash. 8)

Post subject: Lot of time on hands
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just came off of 3 years of bipolar disability and have a LOT of time to kill. I get bored so I surf. Glad to help. What do youneed info on?

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Addendum: If that $30 price tag is for only 1 barrel, that's way high. Guys on hurricane prep websites claim to be getting them for only $5-10 by nosing around the local distributors. That's UNrinsed, but for $20/bbl, I can do a LOT of pressure rinsing... hold it, for beach wheels, I don't HAVE to get the smell out! Rock on...

Another guy claims he can buy NEW unused for $8, at a local shop. Yet another bought 8 barrels for only $3 each! Outfit your whole yacht club!

Bottom line: The SHIPPING is gonna kill you, so search locally first. The recent heavy hurricane seasons have made these barrels popular, but has also increased the supply AND the number of suppliers.

Please post your "scores" on this thread... as in "Dude, I scored 2 for $10 from this crooked delivery guy behind the bar and grill..." :lol:

Post subject: OK.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, They work great. I did cut mine in half, but may work better and be lighter. Yea I go mine a long time ago and just did a search online. I didn't drive around to check locally as I don't need them anymore. So are you going to make them?

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm going to make some AFTER I get my next boat, but I'm going to acquire the barrels NOW, before the hurricane season ramps up again.

I know exactly where to get the EMT conduit (axle) and other parts, but the barrels are still a question mark.

Making my own custom cradles must of course also wait until the boat is in hand, and sounds like a great way to get back into working with fiberglass, Marine-Tex, etc.

Judging by price, those cat-wheel makers are VERY "proud" of their products... I may have to write snide things about them all over my home-made wheels... LOL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Easy on those production beach wheel guys. I did try to find the components that would copy those wheels. I launch over both rough terrain and soft sand so a hard wheel will not work for me. The appropriate wheel and tire are not cheap when buyng in small quantities (ie 2 pices). When I then figured in the couple of hours to build them it actually ended up being about the same price. So, I figure why not get the wheels ready to go in a few days vs. obtaining all of the materials, waiting for them to be shipped, then assembling them.

It all depends on what is important to you and what your needs are. I needed a more versatile set of wheels in a short amount of time. I enjoy designing and building things (I do this for a living) but I'd rather spend my time on the water than build a set of wheels. In the off season I have plenty of other projects keeping me busy.

I would say that they are one of the best accessories I have purchased for my boat. They have opened up many launchig sites previously unavailable to me in my area.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject: Production Wheels
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys:

I am the one who found the article and posted in. I too had to bite the bullet and buy CatTrax as on the circuit in Texas and LA there is a lot of uneven ground. BUT if you are just on soft or hard sand the homemade barrel wheels are GREAT

Good luck.

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My bad... ours is a rich man's leisure hobby, and we have to pay the piper... I 'spose.

Still, I like an elegant jury-rig, and these soda barrels are at least the equivalent of the 'Tiger Trax' hard-wheel dolly. (OTOH, I have 4WD so why not just drive on down to the water's edge...?)

In fact, taking this barrel idea one step further, given their stiffness and those bulge-bands molded in, I wonder if you couldn't rivet several in series for a nice sail tube? Can't wait to get my hands on some barrels, and check out the WEIGHT of them.

Given the runup in building materials the last 3 years... OK, I'll stop.

Post subject: Sail Tube
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

ReefedOne:

Think they would make a good sail tube. The are maybe 3/8 inch thick and should work well, Instead of rivets, why not get some thin sheets of plastic or Teflon or ? and make bands. Just cut off the ends and band together. Could make a shelf for one end. I think it would work good. Let me know how it comes out. My friend Danny took my article link and designed his own wheels. Check these out. The came out great!!!

http://dgaleana2.proboards56.com/index. ... 1143785090

Doug Snell
Hobie 17
Soon to be Mystere 4.3
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Your friend's dolly came out nice, but the judges must deduct points for cheating by using ready-made wheels... and for not hammer-forging his own axle out of empty beer cans, LOL! :wink:

I'm a little leary of making a sail tube in such a segmented fashion, due to the bumpy interior, and the increased opportunities for rain intrusion. OTOH with the run-up in building materials (real estate boom + hurricanes) I'm not sure what the sticker shock is on large diameter thin-wall PVC duct tubing and end caps these days.

Off hand, what are the best ways to attach round tubes to trailer frames?

Could you elaborate on your banding idea? Are these barrels flexible enough to be friction fitted with bands? How do you envision tightening/cinching the bands?