Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:40 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, i'd like to know what's the best downhaul system for the hobie 17 sport with boom.
I have two swiveling ronstan cleats on the mast and only one block in the mainsail but this system seems to be inadequate.
Can you tell me other good modifications for this boat?
In particular, which is the halyard cleat in the mast base and a good righting system.
Thank you and greetings from Anzio Bay
Marco

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The best downhaul system, IMO, is a 6:1 purchase that allows you to make adjustments from out on the trap. This requires one exit block for each side of the mast, plus a triple block shackled to the tack of the mainsail, and a double block mounted to the mast base. You will also use the two sheaves that are built into the mast base. The downhaul line needs to be long enough that you can tie off each end to the wings so you can reach it while out on the trap.

There is no halyard cleat on the mast base. You secure the halyard by engaging the stainless steel ring into the hook at the top of the mast. Then just coil the excess halyard and stow it in the the pocket on the trampoline.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the reply.
I will try to install the 6.1 downhaul system.
a question: if I use the two sheaves to the mast where I pass the halyard which currently passes over the right side sheave?
for me it is important to have a reference to the mast to hoist the sail alone in front of the crossbar, so as to help to place the sail in the mast.
tips?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Marcusnans you might want to look at some catalogs:
Hobie Parts, page 25 (on my version) or Murray's page 26.

If you have a different version use the Find tool and search down-haul, it will come up sooner or later.

My own experience is that trying to cobble parts from here and there to make the whole was usually wasted effort. The made-up solutions appear spendy, but they work. And anyway, you own a boat, you know they cost...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
a question: if I use the two sheaves to the mast where I pass the halyard which currently passes over the right side sheave?

You can install up to three sheaves on the 17's mast base, which is what you'll need to do. If I recall, the original 17's came stock with only two sheaves. The halyard passes through the center sheave, the downhaul uses the two outer sheaves.

Quote:
Marcusnans you might want to look at some catalogs:
Hobie Parts, page 25 (on my version) or Murray's page 26.

Neither Hobie nor Murrays make an upgraded downhaul system for the Hobie 17, so you're forced to "cobble" parts together. What's wrong with using your own brain to solve the problem? In my experience, these pre-packaged systems are almost always over priced for what they are and are usually far from perfect anyway. In any case, he's already go the exit blocks, so all he really needs is a few more pullyes, a longer line, and he's there.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

srm I agree with you.
I can just settle down the downhaul as you indicated, I will do the photos and put them on the forum.
greetings to all and a good wind from Anzio Bay

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:13 am 
Hobie Approved Guru