Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Winterizing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

so I'm gonna park this old H17 till Spring and I had some questions. The pockets are all ready leaky and I may not get them worked on before spring. I have no plugs. What is teh best way to winterize the pockets. Can I put the wings in and just add a bead of silicone to keep the water out or just use some silicon anda bit plastic over the holes to keep water out.

Also the trap on this is one that laces diagonally. I was gonna pull it off for the winter in part because I always do that with my Prindle and because I wanted to get some new velcro stitched into the flap that covers the laces. It appears that you have to completely take the beams off to take the tramp pieces off. Is this True. If that is true then I can see why it looks like it has been on there for a very long time. It seems to be in pretty good shape other than the velcro.

If I have to take the the beams off I may just find a way to stack it in the garage to keep the water out of the pockets.

I already removed the centerboards but do you guys take them out every winter?

Post subject: Re: Winterizing
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my 17, for the wing sockets, I take small rags and stuff them in the upper section of the tube (the idea being that if a small amount of water gets in, it will be absorbed by the rags and not pool in the bottom of the tube). Then I stick the wing socket plugs in, and I tape a piece of plastic sheet (garbage bag) over the wing socket. And last, I put the cover on the boat. Haven't had any issues doing it this way. Other folks have recommended simply pouring some anti-freeze in the tube.

I leave the centerboards in the hulls, but will either leave the centerboards in the "down" position, or remove the spring completely. The idea being that you want to relieve the spring pressure.

I think with the one-piece and two-piece tramps, you have to disassemble the boat to remove them.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:28 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

For you, with the two-piece tramp - the best thing would be to take the boat apart (you need to to get the tramp off) and store the knocked-down boat upside down and under cover to keep water from getting into the hulls via the wing tubes.

I put a dollop of antifreeze in the tubes - but my boat's stored in a garage and my tubes don't leak. Doing that with your boat, the antifreeze would end up in the hull.

If you store the boat upright, don't leave the wings in. srm's rag idea is a good one, as is taping a plastic cover over the hole. You really don't want water getting into the tube and then leaking into the hull - and freezing and thawing along the way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks guys.

Since I know I want to get the velcro fixed on the tramp I'll probably just pull it apart for this year like you said. That will give me chance to sand out the pockets and stuff during the winter to get ready for the repairs anyway.

I'm amazed at how well this tramp has held up. It appears to have been on here a long time yet other than the velcro seems to be in really good shape. There are no halyard pockets or anything on it. Is that normal? If so What do you guys use to keep track of it?

Last edited by Quarath on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The original tramps didn't have any pockets. I believe there are two grommets at the front of the tramp that you can tie the halyard to or clip a tramp bag to.

sm