Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hull weight?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would like to get an educated guess on what 1 hull with no hardware should weigh?

Post subject: Re: hull weight?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Define "no hardware".

Bridle tang, shroud tang, crossbeam shoes, centerboard cleat & pivot, tramp track and gudgeons are typically not removed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

everything has been removed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Well, with all the hardware that's bolted on, on - it weighs somewhat more than a Hobie 16 hull (~68 - 70 lbs), but not a lot more. I can still carry one around by myself.

Somewhere around 85 lbs would be my guess.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

thanks Matt that seems about right. What do the majority of the competitive boats weigh? since Havasu was the last national we weighed at and I didn't pay attention. I am wondering if anyone is ever close to the 330lbs range?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My 2007 boat weighed in at 337 lbs at that year's nationals. As I recall, there were a decent number of boats that were within a couple pounds of the 330 lb minimum weight that year.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I've got the weights spreadsheet from the 2005 NAC in Rehoboth

Lightest boat was 332 (John Tiger); heaviest was 370 (Theo Burtick); average was 345 (33 boats weighed); median was also 345.

The boat I won that event with (Wally's boat that I holed last year) weighed 348.

The reason we stopped weighing boats is that no boat has ever weighed in under minimum. Class minimum weight was 315(!) until 2000, when it became 330. The only boat I know of that was close was Wayne Mooneyham's old 1985 boat (now owned by Dave Head). It was getting soft in 2006 when I sailed it in San Francisco. I don't know of any boats that age that are still around and competitive.

I don't know how much my 2007 boat weighs - last year was its first NAC. It was weighed on the showroom floor at the dealer, but rigged as a 17 Sport, so I was guessing. I was just making sure it didn't weigh 370. It's probably in that 335-345 range.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was curious about h17 hull weight as just started working on cleaning up an beautiful pair of 'Stars and Stripes' blue hulls(89 vintage). They are a matched pair at 84lbs each and have very little abuse. Kinda took a shining to them as they remind me of my old Chevelle Super Sport from my younger and dumber years of throwing money into classic muscle cars. Similar color. Since this thread is 3 years old I thought I'd share. The hulls are 10lbs heavier than my other 17(86 vintage), but they are rock solid and very stiff, while my old hulls are flexible enough to keep me from getting good sheet tension on the main. The bows point in more under sheet tension, a good 2-3 inches. I plan on putting a large 'SS' aft on each side just to feel faster. even if it isn't. Thanks to everyone who participated in the thread on h17 hull weight. Good Guess Matt. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Gordo did you buy your Stars and Stripes H17 from Ron Kramer?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Have had the hulls about 5-6 yrs now and they came from San Diego where they were only lightly used and never sailed in heavy breeze or choppy seas. Originally, just bought it for the novelty knowing that S&S special edition run were heavily laid up, but realize now that the hulls are significantly more sound than the other 2 pair I have. Since then have talked to a lot of fellow 17 sailors about many questions with these boats and knowing the weight difference, I'm deferring to hull soundness, integrity and stiffness over weight. In Hawaii, evidently the large number of 17s did not hold up well in the heavy seas there. Most are derelicts as they fell apart over time. My other hulls have gotten too flexible and leaky in the heavy chop at Lake Mohave. I cannot have faith in their performance at major events, so will be looking to these S&S hulls for next year's 17 NAC to get better results, and hope the 'tiller nut' will also be up to the task.