Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Load of 17SE questions
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I currently sail a 16, but I've been thinking of picking up a 17 in the next few years - preferrably a brand-new 17SE for racing and occaisional recreational sailing with a passenger. I have a load of questions!

1. Is the 17 likely to be in production for the forseeable future?
  2. What is the weight limit on the wings? I know that many pictures show two people sitting on the wings - is this practical even in rougher conditions?
  3. If I ordered a boomlet, how easy is it to switch back and forth for when I have a passenger aboard?
  4. Do you get to choose the tramp color for a new boat? Do the wing-covers come color matched to your choice of tramp?
  5. Can the boat be ordered with EPO2 rudders? Do they come pre-drilled for the boat or is this a 'Dealer/Owner installed' thing?
  6. Can you order a custom sail-color pattern? How much extra is this in general? What colors are available? So many 17's in this area (it is a very popular class in the NW) are of the same recent vintage and it is very hard to tell them apart on the course.
  7. Is the clear window the same material as the rest of the Mylar sail? Would it be feasable to have a totally clear sail?
  8. What types of trailers are offered? Is this a dealer-dependant thing? How much would an average trailer for a 17 be?
  9. Are boat prices set by the dealer or by Hobie? Should I 'shop around' several dealers?

Thanks a bunch!

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:01 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
Is the 17 likely to be in production for the forseeable future?

Only Hobie Cat knows for sure. As long as dealers keep buying/selling them, they'll keep making them.

Quote:
What is the weight limit on the wings? I know that many pictures show two people sitting on the wings - is this practical even in rougher conditions?

The weight limit on the wings is 340#. The SE (with the boom) is a miserable boat with two people. There's just not enough room for two people to get under the boom at one time in a tack / jibe. That's why the 17 Sport doesn't have a boom.

Quote:
If I ordered a boomlet, how easy is it to switch back and forth for when I have a passenger aboard?

Very easy - and cures the problem noted above.

Quote:
Do you get to choose the tramp color for a new boat? Do the wing-covers come color matched to your choice of tramp?

Yes and Yes.

Quote:
Can the boat be ordered with EPO2 rudders? Do they come pre-drilled for the boat or is this a 'Dealer/Owner installed' thing?

I believe the answer is yes on both counts.

Quote:
Can you order a custom sail-color pattern? How much extra is this in general? What colors are available?

Yes, subject to the availability of sailcloth colors. You need to talk to the dealer to find out how much this costs. Many of the racers go with all-white sails because they are hard to tell apart (can't tell who's over the line early, etc.)

Quote:
Is the clear window the same material as the rest of the Mylar sail? Would it be feasable to have a totally clear sail?

No and no. The "Mylar" sail is actually a laminate of Mylar and Dacron. The window is a clear plastic.

Quote:
What types of trailers are offered? Is this a dealer-dependant thing? How much would an average trailer for a 17 be?

You can get any variety of trailers - most of the "hard core" travellers like aluminum trailers (Trailex) because they're light and they last forever. They come in several configurations and have a bunch of options. They're about $2K depending on what you get on them.

Quote:
Are boat prices set by the dealer or by Hobie? Should I 'shop around' several dealers?

Hobie has a "Suggested Retail Price", but the dealers set the real price. What you get quoted depends on what they have in stock and how long it's been in stock (new old stock will be less expensive than if you order a new one from the factory - and you'll get it a lot quicker).

Most of your questions can be answered by your dealer - Dan Carpenter at Hobie Cats Northwest in Seattle is a great guy to work with. He also happens to be a kick-ass 17 sailor. Tell him that Matt Bounds sent you (then again, he might charge you more for that! :shock: )

Post subject: SE
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TJP:

Get the SE so you can race with the other guys. The new sail should have the small boltt rope at the clew (right Matt) for the boomlet to slide on and I will make you a good deal on a boomlet for when you are just having fun. Matt I take 3 adults and a 12 yr old on my 86 and even in light air move OK. Yes I have been sailing a long time, but the boat sails fine with the added weight.

Good luck and be glad you are in a area with a lot of 17's. You will learn a lot. Go to the Nationals in SA to learn and pick the brains of the pros since you are so close. Maybe I will see you there?

Doug Snell
dsnell4 at houston dot rr dot com
Hobie 17
Sunfish
Soon to be Mystere 4.3
www.tcdyc.com

Post subject: Getawy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TJP:

Her is a Getawy in Ca.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/4339

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:54 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Doug, why are you trying to "corrupt" a 17-seeker with that plastic Getaway? :wink: BTW, re Getaway, do you notice a strong resemblance to the Nacra 5.0 hulls?

Also, those anti-pitchpole hydrofoils are a hoot! All you need is a "woop-woop" type submarine dive-alarm klaxon and you're set!

Post subject: H 17
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hope he buys a 17. Just wanted to give him all options. I love mine, just hated the stock jib. The stock Sport jib is useless. It you want a jib, have a reacher cut. Mine is 190 Pentex sq ft and I love it. Pentex squaretop is nice too.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had a H 16 for over 20 years and solo'd it extensively. It was great fun, but I wanted something new. I now have a 2000 H17 Sport and found it to be a great solo boat in winds up to ~ 25 mph or up to ~ 35 mph with a crew. I run circles around the 16's except in very light air. As far as what type of 17 (SE or Sport), unless you want to race, having a jib is a great advantage for every thing short of very high pointing (pinching). The stock jib is far from useless. Initially, I was going to get a larger jib or even a hooter, but I tend to sail in winds 10 mph and higher (Wallula Gap and Columbia George) and in those conditions the smaller sport jib is more than adequate. In winds over 15 mph (solo) - 25 mph (with crew) I tend to furrel the jib any way. 8)

Post subject: Hooter
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fastcat:

Go with a reacher, a hooter will snap your mast. You already have all the parts you need. Just get two 18" tack and mount hem on the tramp tracks with the back end 18" from the rear cross bar. You will need two small hexaratchet Harken blocks. Take your cat to a local sailmaker and have the cut a reacher for you. Mine was cut by Bob Curry and is 190 sq ft Pentex to go with Pentex squaretop. This setup is DEADLY in High Portsmouth and a LOT faster and more fun than the stock jib. I sold my stock one.

Hope this helps,

Doug

Post subject: Reacher
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

18" tracks not tack. It is a zipper luff just like the stock jib. If you have any questions call me.

Doug Snell
281 326 2702

Post subject: Re: SE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

DougHobie17 wrote:
...Get the SE so you can race with the other guys....

Is it possible to modify (easily) a Sport model with a jib to be able to race with the SE class? I see this in the Portsmouth yardstick:

"Hobie 17 1-up H17 74.0 78.3 76.2 73.7 69.6
Hobie 17 Sport Slp 2-up H17P 74.5 78.0 74.7 74.0 71.5 "

Can you change a boat back and forth for racing depending on the availabililty of crew. The versatility would be great.

Post subject: Real easy
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is real easy. You will need a boom and have to rig up some kind of over rotator/ mast rotation limiter. ( I will send pics of this when I get then back this week). You will have to get a new bridle and forestay. If you really want to fly and race Portsmouth let me know? I will show you how I made my ROCKET ship with a 190 sq ft reacher.

Doug