Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HC 17 hull cracks
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello Hobie sailors. I want to buy a HC17, the hulls present no sign of delamination but there is a crack just bellow the rear crossbar on port and some cracks starting to at the same location on starboad. See pictures at [https://goo.gl/photos/Kzx3fED97LYtPdQx8] . All around the cracks the hull is perfectly rigid, no delamination of the composite/sandwich. What do you think can be at the origin of these cracks? Is it bad? Thanks a lot for your help!

Post subject: Re: HC 17 hull cracks
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:24 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Picture fix:

That first one is some serious structural damage. The second probably is too. It's fiberglass, so it can be fixed, but you're looking at deck ports to access the inside and a lot of glass work. Unless you want a project, I'd walk away. The boat is not really safe to sail the way it is.

It's hard to say what caused that - it's almost as if the boat was badly torqued in an accident, or perhaps the crossbeam bolts were not tightened enough. Maybe the crossbeam shoes are loose. I'll bet there's more damage to other parts that you're not seeing (crossbeam cracks?).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree. You would at a minimum need to pull off the crossbars and end caps to see what's going on there. Likely need to install an access port as well to get inside the hull to fix the cracks. Probably not too terribly difficult of a repair, but it's going to cost time and money. If nothing else, you should be able to use the damage as a means to negotiate the price of the boat down considerably.

The other thing to consider is that it's an old boat (late 1980's). If it has the original sail, it is almost certainly badly delaminated. So you're likely looking at broken hulls (and crossbars?), and a worthless sail. I wouldn't pay much for the boat if you decide to get it.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks a lot for your answer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have well looked at the cross section of the Hobie 17 hull posted by Dan P on this forum ( http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11944 ) and i can not understand what mechanical load may have lead to a crack in this area considering the fact that everything is perfectly stiff in this area! Can it be some water infiltration in the foam that freeze during winter? Hard to belive that. It is like the pin of the casting was pushed against the external composite panel of the hull!
Do you think $1000 is a reasonable price for this boat+trailer?
Is there any way to know the manufacturing date of the boat with the sail number (The sail number is aroud 4200)?
Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Year of manufacture is the last two digits of the serial number inscribed on each transom. Based on the hull stripes, it is from the late 1980's.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know I'm a little late here, but FWIW...any crack in the hull is a hazard...something happened they're not telling you about. For $1k...are you getting a trailer and cat trax? That alone might be worth the $1,000.

Anyway...commenting because one of our 17's got nailed by a hurricane and our insurance paid for new hulls / cross bars. $500 deductible and we got almost a new boat out of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

New hulls for a H17? No way!