Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 86 H17
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A friend has 2 - H17's. One has been refurbished, New Tramp (Non OEM), Sheets, Blocks, etc etc...................... and the other is in not so great shape, missing sail, not sure what else it may be missing.

What would be a fair asking price for both........ 2 trailers, one trailer was setup for double stack, but not sure if they still have the upper racks for them. Bolted on the trailer (Steel construction).

Post subject: Re: 86 H17
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:33 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am inexperienced so I will not offer a precise answer (I saw your week-old post with no response so I though I'd try to help. Hopefully someone familiar with buying/selling H17s will answer).

The price will depend on a lot of things concerning the condition of them, but probably more important is what you plan to do with them- If you plan to fix them and they require a lot of work to get them in shape, then you may offer less with the argument of how much your going to have to spend... If you plan to part them out right away then you may offer more because your return on the investment will be greatest with the least amount of time/work (and if they are considering parting it out they probably have searched ebay for ideas of how much they could get). What ever the case may be remember that used Ebay hobiecat parts are often overpriced for their condition; this is evident by how long most parts remain unsold.

I think the general rule of thumb for an H17 of that age is: 1500-2500 if "ready to sail," and 500-1200 if someone has a trashed one laying around that you hope to sell for parts.
But you should do the research, you are the one who knows what condition those boats are in. Look online for H17 prices and what to look for when buying (craigslist/this forum/ beachcats forum etc) Trust me I went through this process last year w/ my purchase- there is more than enough reading materials available.