Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boom to Boomlet help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:45 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So guys, I thought this was going to be quick and easy. After reading around, I have a lot more questions than answers. I think I was simply too naive/optimistic. Please take a look below and let me know what you think. Any way to make this work out? Thanks.

The plan: obtain an old boom and chop it down to size and make necessary modifications to secure the new boomlet to the sail.

The problem: the rope seems too big to fit into the boom track.

I may be able to force it, but is this sail designed to have a boomlet? I assumed it did... I also thought I read that the boom tract was the same as the boomlet. I don't know what year the sail is, or the booms. The sail it's self seems to be in good shape- I'd just love to have a boomlet for leisure sailing.

Post subject: Re: Boom to Boomlet help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:13 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The first 17 Sports didn't have a boomlet - they had a track that mounted to the sail. This is one of them.

Check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43585&start=30

The bolt rope is very different on your sail from what the current sails look like.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok thanks for the info! I'm obviously still learning.

So- VienteTerra from that thread had pics up of the "pre-95" boomlet and sail, right? Does that mean my sail is that old! I thought it was newer than that.

Also- Does anyone have a photo of the new hobie sport boomlet setup. I guess, the only photos I can find are of the older version.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been considering making the same change, and since a new sail is in order this would be the time. I have an '87 H17. Other than the sail, are there any other changes that need to be made? Are there any disadvantages to the boomlet vs boom? Lastly, Mariners has the boomlet for $139 but no description, does that include everything needed?

Mike M.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

There are illustrations that show both kinds in the parts catalog page 57 upper right.

The older is a Harken track. The newer is a section of 17 boom extrusion. Both require a specific sail or conversion not included with the boomlets.

http://cdn.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/2013-winter-sailing-pa-catalog-international_rev130906.pdf

Boomlets make getting under the sail / boom much easier. They reduce performance.

Both are also shown in the manual, but the newer boomlet description explains more, it is simply a dealer bulletin stuck into the manual. Towards the back...

http://static.hobiecat.com/digital_assets/H17SportManual.pdf

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt, that was very helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

You may not need a boomlet at all. The early boomless NACRAs just had a longish clew plate with several holes (a lot like yours) the mainsheet block had a hook that went thru the hole of your choice and off you went. On the water adjustment was difficult. The later boats had a harken traveler on the clew. This may not work on the 17 if the clew is much farther aft than the traveler. I would set it up in the driveway with the block tied to the clew and see if it looked like it might work. Boomless you loose rotation control unless you do something cleaver.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

That's an interesting idea, michaellove. If it worked that would be awesome... If it doesn't work then that would not be awesome. A ripped out clew plate would really ruin my day. Has anyone ever tried this before?

I'd like to get rid of my boom for recreational sailing. I'm thinking of purchasing a cheap non-hobie sail that is fitted for the modern boomlet. That way I can use my home made boomlet and cheap sail for every-day use and save my OEM sail and full boom for if I ever start racing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You mean for WHEN you start racing! 8) :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I don't see how there would be any more strain on the clew if the sheet attached directly rather than via the the boom.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Haha ronholm, Great reply. And that is actually only a few hours drive for me! If I'm free I certainly will be there (if not just to watch).

michaellove, I'm concerned about the distribution of force. The way I see it- The boom splits the sail force down the boom to the mast and to the mainsheet. The sport versions all use the rope bolt to distribute the force over it's length then into the mainsheet.

Does anyone have any input on this topic? Ever tried it before and in what kind of wind?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I said boom not boomlet. when you sail with a boom all of the force at the clew goes thru the clewplate.
I suspect the flaw in my suggestion may be that the foot is so long that even the most forward hole in the clew plate is too far aft.
That is to say the boomlet may be required to provide a point of sheet attachment forward of the clew plate and support that part of the foot that is aft of the point of attachment.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The clew plate on the stock H17 sail is too far aft to use the sail without either a boom or a boomlet. Hooking the blocks directly to the clew plate would induce way too much draft in the sail. The boomlet allows the blocks to be connected about a foot to a foot and a half forward of the clew plate. This allows the sail to be tensioned so that the leech and foot loads are distributed for proper sail shape.

sm