Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,
I am trying to buy my first 17 and have a couple of questions to you guys.
Firstly the sail number is 5810, can you please tell me the age of this.

Also what would it be worth.
It has new beams, 6YO sail, trailer with sailbox, beach rollers, fairly good condition, double traveller added to it. it's a cat rigged boat, so singlehanded

Cheers
Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are alot of factors here, if it has been sailed hard it could be a piece of trash, but if it has set for many years and been under a cover but not really sailed....well then you might have a really nice boat.

Secondly what are they asking for it?? With beach wheels and catbox, and a trailor. That automatically ups the value, and the sails being 6 years old...huh, once again the useage thing. If those sail have been sailed hard then they might be trash, but my 14 had sails that were nearly 20 years but they had only been used a few times.

The new beams catch my attention. If someone is replacingbeams, that much mean that he/she sailed the boat really hard. If the beams warrented replacement I hate to think of how the hulls must be.

But that is just my .02 worth, hope it helped. I am sure Doug will be here any second, he will show you a picture of his amazing 17 and say buy the boat. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

gree2056 wrote:
... and the sails being 6 years old...huh, once again the useage thing. If those sail have been sailed hard then they might be trash, but my 14 had sails that were nearly 20 years but they had only been used a few times...

The issue with the 17 sails is that they are a taffeta - a layer of dacron glued to a layer of mylar. The thing to look for is not sail age, but whether the layers have seperated. You can sail it with a junk sail, but it's not going to go fast or respond correctly...

Another 2c :)

-Tim

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for that, he is asking 6000 Australian for it, but i have seen a couple of 17's got for 5000 with the exact same equiptment. Hulls are in good condition and the sail is still able to be raced but not club. It has been sailed every weekend during season for atleast the last 6 years.

Can you guys help me with the age of the boat also

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My boat's sail # is 6198 and it is a 2000. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Also one of the other boats for sale had a sail number of 6248

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:21 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The sail number does not correspond to the age of the boat (or at least only roughly).

For example, I bought a new sail for my 1987 Hobie 17 - sail number 6406. The original sail number was 4026.

You need to read the hull number to determine the age of the boat. See the FAQ's for this site.

17's are hard on their crossbeams - I had to replace both of mine when 1) the front crossbar developed a crack right behind the mast step post and 2) when re-assembling the boat from No. 1, the rear crossbar developed a spiral crack starting at the bolt hole. I believe larger reinforcing plates are used now which prevents that.