Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Long time Hobie guy, Hobie 16, then 18 and 17 (too big for 17), then crew on a 20. Been doing the Hobie thing for 25 years. Did the racing regionally and did OK on the 18 through the 90s. The sport was waning when I quit traveling. It is not what it was in the 80s, but none of us are. A few years ago I picked up a used Nacra 5.5 UNI and rigged a soft spin for it. Man, what a blast, the boat is a mid 90s and in very good shape. Got rid of the rope up and down rudders and put on on Inter rudders as well as other mods that make the boat better, much better.

Now to the FX one, I quit traveling to regattas but have a fairly active (3 to 5 guys) regular series racing at my home sailing club in KS. One of the other cat guys got an FX one (me buying would make two) and the other real regular has an Inter 17. So all of us are on single handed, square top, mylar main, spinnaker boats. Is it worth swapping to the FX one from the 5.5 UNI with spin? I have always loved the Hobie brand so that is part of the pull. Rick Bliss has been great for Nacra parts but Jim Sohn has been supplying Hobie parts to me for 20+ years.

The FX one is about 10 years old (2004) and in excellent condition. I would also appreciate any input as to value of the FX one. Spin, trailer, etc all in good shape, salt water boat but you can not tell.

What is it really worth?

Just for info, I am 50, in shape if round is a shape (6' 4" 240 lbs). I have not even sailed the other FX one at the club so I am a bit hesitant. After reading the pitchpole thread below. I have never pitched the 18, or the 5.5.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Cheers Ricardo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There has been a new in box FX one for sail in Chicago area on Craiglist through the fall. Didn't see it there today though. I think it was $7k.

2 Hobie Waves
Tandem Oasis Kayak
Hobie 16
Southern California

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, that is not the one I am looking at but it is a lot closer, and less money, I will see if I can track down the ad. Thanks, at least it gives some value. Richard.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Never seen a 5.5 but did enjoy FX when had it. But looking at 5.5 on web, they look very similar in shape and size. The FX I thought had amazing stability and glide with rounded hull shape. It just had a great feel. All the parts were solid and sound. The problems that I encountered were similar to all larger cats -- the mast was big (you're at a club so you can store it mast up, I assume -- which is a plus), the fiberglass needs repair occasionally at transom and hull bottoms. You might want to compare the pull of the dagger boards on your 5.5 with the ones on the FX at the club. Also the tautness of the tramp. Also, download the FX manual and compare the spin setup with 5.5's. I think the pitchpole you read about was done in pretty high winds and the righting problem is typical of all cats without mast floats. Is the 5.5's mast fairly buoyant during a capsize?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fortunately I have never capsized the 5.5, even with the spin. I am 240 and a pretty safe sailor. I do get to keep the mast up at the club. Put it up in May and take down in October. Thanks for the input. Cheers Ricardo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

At 6'4", 240lbs, you've got enough weight and leverage to keep the bows up.

The biggest problem you'll have is getting it to power up in lighter air. That mast is a telephone pole, and there isn't much control of the flex on it. You'll want to upgrade to a 16:1 downhaul if it hasn't been done already. The mast is also very heavy, which makes it tough to right singlehanded, but once again you've got weight and leverage on your side. I'm 6'2", and was about 165lbs when I had mine, and it was tough even with a water bucket. I'd run more purchase on the mainsheet too. I think mine was 8:1, just not enough for me with that stiff mast.

I've always wanted to find a cheap one with a trashed rig. Hack the sterns off to F16 length, update the boards, and put a F16 rig on it. I loved the way that boat cut through the water.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No one has talked about Values. Any ideas as what I should pay for one? Thanks for all the input. Richard.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Its hard to say what the value is because there are not many changing hands. My Guess would be $6,k to 12,k depending on age, condition and how its equipped.

If you hear of a parts boat I'm looking for a mast.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was a brand new late model Chicago area FX One (still in the boxes, never assembled) for sale last year on eBay and Craigslist for around $9500.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am searching for a newer FX One to bring down to Chile or perhaps a wild cat or other... Please advise if the Chicago based FX One is still available.
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My opinion, bypass the FX. It's not on the Hobie boat lists anymore. Specialty parts come from Europe only. Biggest consideration is parts support, IMO. If you want the best in parts support, boats on Hobie's current list in your area are safest. Wildcat or H16. Long waits for replacement parts are painful. H16 probably is easiest to find parts for. My 2 cents