Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I sailed for 2 hours on Sunday. Moderate winds driving the boat well. When home I removed drain plugs and drained hulls. I put a 5 gallon bucket behind one hull just to see. I emptied just over 2 gallons in the hull. Normal? I will consider removing the drain plugs and resealing as well as rudder gudgeons. Where else would it come in from. Hull deck joint seems tight and clean. There are also 2 inspection ports on the deck of each hull. I will check that sealant as well. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:51 am 
Site Admin

The ports are likely from repairs to the wing sockets. I'd look there. Pour water into the sockets and see if it drains into the hull. There is a leak test described in the sailing FAQ: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=169

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you sure it was dry before you put it in the water?

Lot's of potential leak points - wing sockets, crossbar ends, thru-hull fittings. The only way to find out for sure is to do a bubble test. I would do that before randomly starting to pull things apart.

Also, since the hulls already have access ports, you can just bring a large sponge on the boat and pull the water out occasionally that way. 2 gallons of water is substantial, but not over the top. If the leaks are in a difficult to repair location (wing tubes), it may be easier to just leave them be and sponge out the boat.

sm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well......its a wing socket issue. Both aft tubes in each hull leak. Small hairline fractures middle of tube vertically. From what I have read this seems to be the typical spot. So, socket repair here we come. I was amazed at how fast the water penetrated the hull when filling the sockets with water. Thankfully both forward tubes are fine. Do you guys recommend the 5" contoured inspection ports? Thats what Im leaning toward.
Thanks again to this awesome forum!