Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I recently ordered a very nicely built carbon-fiber righting bar from Jeremy at Surf City Catamarans in Santa Cruz. He sold it to me with the warning that installation on a 17 would require fabrication. (Why? the 17 tramp slopes upward starting about 20" aft of the front cross-bar. So if you attach the righting bar to the cross bar, when it lays back against the tramp, it will point downward, which means the last foot or so of the righting bar will constantly drag in the water. Or you can tightly secure it to the rear cross bar, which will create a stiff hump in the tramp, and perhaps damage the righting bar or the tramp)

The solution is to attach it to the bottom of the dolphin striker so it will point straight back to the rear cross bar. So here is how I did it.

The following is fully DIY with a hand drill, bench vise, hack saw, three drill bits, and a 1/4-20 tap.

I found a piece of aluminum that was thick enough and wide enough to make the two aluminum brackets in the pic. (email me for exact dimensions; boat's 30 miles away right now) I measured the diameter of the dolphin striker lateral support rod; drilled that diameter hole in the aluminum; cut the whole thing in half; drilled tap holes (#7 drill) in the aluminum; clamped everything together on the boat; used the tap holes as a guide to drill the holes in the stainless bracket on the righting bar; tapped the 1/4-20 holes in aluminum.

Tested on the water, worked perfectly; I weigh about 180, and the boat righted very quickly. A righting bar is a safety must-have on a 17.

Here are the pics:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, I have been thinking about a similar configuration for my H-18 :D

Great pictures, explains everything.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sent one who Rick's back for that reason. I would apprecitate as much info and dimensions as you have and the approx cost of parts and pole.

Doug Snell
dsnell4 at houston.rr.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:34 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
call
Jeremy
Surf City Catamarans
(831) 359-5918
http://www.surfcitycatamarans.com
[email protected]

he will have all the info on the pole for you.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Might I suggest anti sieze on the stainless bolts that go into the aluminum.

And a nylock nut on the end of the bolts to ensure the rig isnt lost due to vibration durring trailering.

Great idea you have there for mounting. Simple and easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Guys,

Great suggestion Mike! A molybdenum anti sieze ointment is on the bolts on mine. And Nylocks are a great idea too, it's on my to-do list. Thanks!

Doug: I'll post a drawing with dimensions next time I go to my boat. I've been trying to get out there, but last weekend I was camping with my oldest boy, next weekend its camping with my two middle boys, so it will be another ten days before I can get you those numbers!

Peace,

Dan
2003 H17 SE
Campbell, CA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:20 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How long is the rightening bar? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It looks like this assembly would put a lot of torque on the dolphin striker during righting - can it take that w/o damaging it?

Fleet 444

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Attachment to the dolphin striker should not be a problem as long as the vertical/horizontal axis of the dolphin striker is stabalized. To that end a slight modification might be suggested. Since the stainless steel cross bar of the dolphin striker passes through a hole in vertical pole (i.e., is not locked into place), it might be a good idea to extend the aluminum U nuts of the power pole attachment inward so they bracket the vertical pole. This will reduce any possible side slip of the u-joint when righting the boat.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sorry it took so long to get this to you (I rarely pack my precision dial calipers to go sailing!)

Please refer to my initial post above for detailed construction instructions and pics.

Over the summer this has proven to be a very reliable solution to under-weight righting needs. Thanks for the interest and comments!

Peace,

Dan
2003 H17 SE
Campbell, CA (I sail out of Redwood city)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Nice job Dan. :idea:

Have you had a chance to try out the righting bar? and How much do you weigh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the compliment.

Yes, I have used it to right the boat; once when I first built it and a couple of times over the summer. Works great.

Comment to Adam: It does not appear to place adverse stress on the dolphin striker. While lawn-testing, I looked at that; there was no observable flex, creaking bending etc... In addition, compare the forces in a righting situation (which are carried largely by the 5mm corner lines provided in the righting bar kit) to the forces of the sail, mast stepping, torsional hull forces. The dolphin striker is relatively relaxed during righting, in my opinion.

Peace,

Dan
2003 H17
Campbell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This is probably a stupid question (since you went to all the work described above) ..... but is it the case that there isn't a righting bar that works on the H17 out of the box, without adding additional pieces? Sorry to ask the obvious but just gotta know.

Also: Dan - any more follow up on how this bar is holding up?

Fleet 444

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

bock1 wrote:
This is probably a stupid question (since you went to all the work described above) ..... but is it the case that there isn't a righting bar that works on the H17 out of the box, without adding additional pieces? Sorry to ask the obvious but just gotta know.

It is because of the way the tramp curves down as it goes back. The front crossbar is higher than the rear. The tramp will not let the bar go up. That s why you have to move the front of the bar down. They have come up with a good solution.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Quote:

Hi Adam,

Before building the mod, I looked around on the web; found nothing available. So I started designing. After I built it, I stopped thinking about it.

"just gotta know" - go on the web and start digging. Then do what I did - set up your boat, take nice pics and share your findings with the H17 community. I'd like to see an easier solution than mine.

Quote:

No changes or failures since July 26th (see my post on Jul 26th)

Dan
2003 H17SE

[/quote]