Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Am I too heavy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi all I know I'm leaving my self open with the topic headline but here goes anyway I weigh 260 pounds 120kg is this to much for a hobie 17 sport I am looking at buying one to go with my 16. Looks like the start of a collection but don't tell the wife. I'm also 6'4 so the idea of wings and no boom is apealing as I'm also getting older so what I want to know is it worth getting the 17s in my situation thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Am I too heavy
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:45 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Grab you a Hobie 18 Magnum/SX instead if you want wings. The 17's I've seen are submarines with >225lbs on them, worse if you ever plan to have any crew with you. Don't rule out a Hobie 20 if you can find a good deal on one. They haul butt even with 400lbs+ of people on 'em. You can add Magnum wings to them for leisure cruising as well.

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks I thought I may be to big for a 17 I have been looking for a bigger hobie the don't come up for sale that often in Australia will keep looking. I think I'll grab the 17 sport anyway as it is at a great price and comes with a fiberglass sail box and cat trax both of which I need it also comes with two sets of sails new tramp and a gal trailer for under $1000 so I don't think I can pass it up would double my investment parting it out. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

For that price i'd buy it on principal alone! What a killer deal! :shock:

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The boat is not going to be a submarine, but it is going to sit low in the water. You're probably going to be spending a lot more time sitting on the wings than you are trapping off of them. I would also recommend you inspect the front crossbar as thoroughly as possible before purchasing the boat and disassemble the boat once a season to periodically check the crossbar for cracks. It is a marginal design IMO and prone to developing stress cracks if overloaded.

Otherwise, my wife and I have sailed our 17 together at a combined weight of about 350lb and it was OK. The boat will take off on a close reach and fly a hull, but it is wet with the front crossbar smacking the waves on the leeward side. For light wind cruising, it's fine with the added weight. You won't be competitive racing at 265lbs, but you can still have fun on the boat. If you can drop weight down to around 210, you will be fast in heavy air.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you get the Hobie 17? How does it handle your mass?

I'm 210 pounds myself. Just bought a 17, but haven't had it out on the water yet. As soon as I finish fixing a few things, and the water warms up, I'll get out there and find out how it handles with 210 lbs on it. :-)

Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm 210 LB also and I think the 17 handles that amount of weight just fine. For recreational sailing, you will have a good time. For racing, you're at the top end of the competitive weight level, but you will be fast upwind in high winds but lose a little in light wind. Upwind on the 17, whoever can get out on the wire first has an advantage up until the point when everyone is trapping. After that, it comes down to who can hold the boat down. So the flyweights will smoke you in the 7-12 mph wind range, but after that you will be good.

sm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No more donuts for me!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As srm wisely pointed out, the cross-bar is likely to crack with your weight and driving the boat hard in a heavy air. If you intent to cruse in light to medium air, then you will be fine. There is fellow on this forum who crack the bar, got a replacement ($$$) and then cracked the new bar as well.