Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: centerboard springs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:05 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:13 pm
Posts: 35
My new 21 year old H17 has centerboard springs that feel weak to my inexperienced hand. How do I tell if the springs are dead? Is there a specification of the push-to-push distance? Or is there a lbs/inch spec?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:01 pm 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:11 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: Detroit, MI
If they have enough oompf to push the boards down, they're good.

I've never seen any "go bad".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:11 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 am
Posts: 952
Location: Dallas, TX
MBounds wrote:
I've never seen any "go bad".


The last 17 we built had one fail - of course, it could have been bad from the get go.

Brian C


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:14 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 10:25 am
Posts: 2619
Location: Jersey Shore
I have been told that you should store the boat with the centerboards in the down position so that the springs don't go bad. I don't know if it's true or not, but it's pretty simple to do, so I've always done it. Actually, this winter I took the springs completly out of the boat.

Anyway, on the trailer, it should take a significant pull to get the boards up. My guess would be that it's somewhere around 20lb, though I've never measured it. The boards don't seem to snap down as hard when the boat's in the water.

You would probably be able to hear them floating up and banging around if the tension is too light. You may also notice the control line go slack.
Also, make sure the entire centerboard systems is free of dirt/debris and is running smoothly.

sm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: spring
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:35 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Captain

Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:13 pm
Posts: 35
Quote:
I have been told that you should store the boat with the centerboards in the down position so that the springs don't go bad.


The springs have probably spent most of the last 21 years in the compressed state. They now measure 7.25 inch from where one tip pushes on the hull to where the other tip pushes on the board. Anybody know what a new spring measures? Maybe I should give them a good stretch.

If it ever warms up so I can get it in the water - the centerboard springs will probably be the least of my worries.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:43 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 am
Posts: 952
Location: Dallas, TX
Being of a different material than the 17 c-board spring, this may not be true. But the spring in a firearm magazine is typically damaged by heavy use (cycles) or extended overcompression, and not by simply being held in compression for long periods of time.

For example, I've had "experts" tell me that a 1911 magazine loaded to one round short of capacity should stay ready to work for pretty much eternity. Which should come in handy when defending one's sailboat from pirates and drunken jet skiers

(see how nicely I kept that on topic ;-) )

Brian C


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:46 am 
Offline
Hobie Approved Guru

Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2003 7:11 pm
Posts: 4641
Location: Detroit, MI
Quote:
They now measure 7.25 inch from where one tip pushes on the hull to where the other tip pushes on the board.


That sounds about right. My boards are out for the winter and the springs are somewhere in the garage. I can measure them if you'd like - they are about as new as you can get (my 17 is one of the last ones made).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: spring
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:41 am 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 am
Posts: 952
Location: Dallas, TX
michaellove wrote:
The springs have probably spent most of the last 21 years in the compressed state. They now measure 7.25 inch from where one tip pushes on the hull to where the other tip pushes on the board. Anybody know what a new spring measures? Maybe I should give them a good stretch.


Yeah, I've got one hanging on the wall and 7.25 inches looks right.

Brian C


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:11 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Admiral

Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:30 pm
Posts: 260
Location: Vancouver, WA
The Dog wrote:
...For example, I've had "experts" tell me that a 1911 magazine loaded to one round short of capacity should stay ready to work for pretty much eternity. Which should come in handy when defending one's sailboat from pirates and drunken jet skiers...


To fight off the Pirates of the Carribean?

(There's no Gorillas on this island!)

_________________
Tim
Unofficial Fleet 72 Communications Officer and Div 4 Webmaster
http://www.hobiefleet72.org
http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:50 pm 
Offline
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:40 am
Posts: 952
Location: Dallas, TX
tjp wrote:
The Dog wrote:
...For example, I've had "experts" tell me that a 1911 magazine loaded to one round short of capacity should stay ready to work for pretty much eternity. Which should come in handy when defending one's sailboat from pirates and drunken jet skiers...


To fight off the Pirates of the Carribean?

(There's no Gorillas on this island!)


No... Beer Pirates. (Which could be funny if I could find the picture of me sitting in my kayak with the pirate and beer flags flying from the stern, fishing a beer out of the cooler in the kayak next to me.)

Brian C


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group