Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2009 FxOne
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our dealer confirmed today that there will be new boats coming in mid to late August. The new boats will be '09s and he mentioned that epoxy resin is now being used in the hulls.

Does anyone know about any design changes?

Also, it might be a good idea to amalgamate the discontinued 17 with the Fxone in divisional races or is this a bad idea?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think they're epoxy. I think it's Vinylester. Could be wrong, someone know something I don't?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Vinylester is the new boats, polyester is the old boats? Its supposed to be a bit stronger but isn't as rigid, or as brittle. It flexes a bit instead of snapping. As far as I know the weights will be the same, or at least close enough. Miller, or Bernier would be able to explain it better.

As far as combining the FXone, and H17 crowd the FXone will flat out spank a H17 around the course. Sailor, for sailor of course. You put a hack like me on my FX and someone who's been sailing since before the continents seperated, (Wrinkley, Bounds, Ward, whom ever), on a H17 and I'll more than likely lose. Last years H18 champ beat me downwind on a H16 a couple of weekends ago. I don't know how. I was/thought I was doing pretty well with the chute.

Plus in the HCA rules for the FXone, you must carry the spinnaker. Whether you use it or not I guess its up to you. It's still lighter than the H17 by about 20 lbs. Better off probably racing with the Tiger fleet. Doesn't compare going up wind, but probably pretty close going back down the course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think that upwind and down wind speeds are near the Tigers speed. And depending on the wind conditions you may be as fast. Single trap conditions this boat is a rocket.

It is the evolutions, like hoisting and dowsing that slow you down.

On a long race i think you would find out you are fairly close to the front three or at least middle of the pack with the Tigers.

Practice the hoist and dowse and the faster you get the closer you get to the front of the fleet.

As far as the fleet starts, I think when there are enough FXs at a regatta it would be OK to start with the H17s, the upwind and start tacktics are more simmilar. Once you reach the weather mark the race is over with the H17.
But with one or two of you it is more fun to try and keep in the hunt with the Tigers. Just watch getting rolled on the start, the Tiger has that instant on power and you will start more like a H17 with the unirig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Presently I sail a Hobie 14 and have crewed a F18 from another company. The 14 leaves me wanting more but is lots of fun on really windy days, which are rare on our lake. The modern hull and sail design would allow me sail our lake without being tossed around by boat wakes due to actual forward movement on the those less windy days.

The fxone is the only option for single handed sailing and I would like buy one and probably will, but I think the HCA could help the still growing fleet to grow a little faster by getting the racing thing figured out.

Spending the money on a beautifully designed boat is fine but after a year or so (summer or two), I'll want to race against someone in a sanctioned regatta.

The community forms are great (Thanks Hobie!) and in this day and age of video it would be great to see some chase boat video of the boats. I recently viewed a French produced dvd showing F18, Tornado, and A class cats in different parts of the world with their respective crews. Ashby was crewing a Tiger and various other sailors talked about their boats and tactics. Awesome dvd that made me want a new cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The FXone fleets are coming. :twisted:

While I can't say its a new boat, I think it is just starting to gain popularity, and will grow. The fear of spinnakers is dying down. It's not viewed as such a black art any longer, and many just want to haul ass both ways on the course.

As far as figuring out the racing, the rules are there, but the boats are still not in huge numbers, which as far as Hobie's go can be said about any of the cats other than the H16. You get pockets of boats, in certain areas. Mike Hensel who posted before is in the Seattle area, and I believe there is another FXone around there, with a few hopefuls as well. He's doing a better job than me at selling the boat. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The rules have been established for the FxOne, but is it possible for me to race with a more established fleet, like the 17s or tigers, and if I'm the only FxOne to show-up then I take the points? Is this a decision that each division chair decides?

Pick a fleet for the FxOne to race with until the numbers are there and see who shows up.

Maybe racing with the other boats would encourage more people to purchase a second boat or switch.

I know you guys have tried to get things going, as I've read some of the old posts, so excuse my ignorance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sakinaw wrote:
The rules have been established for the FxOne, but is it possible for me to race with a more established fleet, like the 17s or tigers, and if I'm the only FxOne to show-up then I take the points? Is this a decision that each division chair decides?

I race with the H20's in my division, no points, no trophies.

Quote:
Pick a fleet for the FxOne to race with until the numbers are there and see who shows up.

Maybe racing with the other boats would encourage more people to purchase a second boat or switch.

Hobie regatta's are strictly one design. I may have bent the rules a bit at my fleet's regatta this year but we had an "open class" , but it was Hobie only, done on PN's. There is alot of odd ball boats in my fleet. FXone, H18SX + square top + spin, H17 sport + square top + spin. We were expecting some folks with a Tiger to show as well.

Quote:
I know you guys have tried to get things going, as I've read some of the old posts, so excuse my ignorance.

The best thing you can do is start sailing one yourself, in a couple of years sell it to someone locally and buy a new one. That's been my plan since I picked up my FXone last fall.

It really is a fricken' sweet boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

BTW.

Two uses FX's for sale here in the Bay Area

2006 Jib no shute, good shape, galvy, cat box, sailed maybe 5 times, covers. $14,000
2005 Spi, SNU, good shape, galvy. $12,000

Post subject: comparison H17 to FX One
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

A H17 normally is a lot slower then the FX ONE.
Enclosed some results of a regatta last weekend: http://www.rbsc.be/nl/5?uitslagen=297,j ... AN,popup=Y

Already based on rating you can see a big difference between the H17 and FX One. The times are real finishing times.

Gill