Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: off-brand H14 Jib Kit
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm usually out on my 18, but I picked-up an older 14 for basically free. In the deal, It came with a new mainsail, but it also came with an after-market jib kit. The make is Super Sailmakers out of Florida (I still have the original reciept in it's original packing)
Now, I've never seen this kit before, but there are a few things about it I don't get.

First, the kit doesn't seem to come with any cleats to hold the jib sheet, but it does come with job car blocks and tracks. I assume these go on the front cross bar like a 16? Where does a 14 jib cleat-off? My 18 has jib car blocks with attached cleats that ride right in the tracks on the hulls.

Second, the jib car tracks will have to be "bent" a litlle to conform to the arc profile of the front cross bar on the 14. Is that right? Will the jib cars bind in the tracks if I do that?

Last and most important, the jib is completely different than the one on my 18. It doesn't furl around the fore stay, and it has (I think) 5 battens to it. When I run the jib up the included halyard to the top of the forestay, it then clips to the link at the bottom of the forestay. When I try to swing the jib from port to starboard or vice-versa, the battens hang-up on themast and halyard lines. That can't be right. I'd think you'd go nuts trying to tack the thing on the water like that.

Any advice would be apprecaited.

Thanks.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:25 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

You've got one of the original jib kits for the 14 - before Hobie came out with the 14 Turbo.

This kit was meant to mimic the 16's jib, so all the things you mention (tracks on the front crossbeam, battens hit the mast, etc.) are correct - it's just like a 16.

The 14 Turbo has a bigger, roller furling, overlapping jib w/o battens that sheet to a block that's mounted on a wire that runs under the tramp (there are two large grommet holes in the tramp that allow the blocks mounting shackles to connect to the wire).

It's probably not worth the trouble to use this jib. It will help you tack, but not give you much extra performance. You'd never be able to OD race with it because it's not a true Turbo rig - you'd even take a hit on the Portsmouth rating because of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

well, that's a bummer.
I guess the best course of action here it to sell the kit on ebay or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SELL IT! You don't need no stinkin' jib!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

xanderwess wrote:
SELL IT! You don't need no stinkin' jib!!

and maybe put the coin to one of those fancy square head mainsails that whirlwind makes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WHAT?? You need a new 6 batten sail from the MFG so you can race in the 14 NAC with all the rest of the 14s in the entire world. Its coming up in a month so put the money towards that, or gas to Iowa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

xanderwess wrote:
WHAT?? You need a new 6 batten sail from the MFG so you can race in the 14 NAC with all the rest of the 14s in the entire world. Its coming up in a month so put the money towards that, or gas to Iowa.

I could pay for two sails with what gas to Iowa would cost me! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What's the matter Col. Sanders? Chicken?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

xanderwess wrote:
What's the matter Col. Sanders? Chicken?

You dare mock my desire to go to ludicrous speed!?! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to think as you do. I used to cry, everytime I tried to tack a Hobie 14 and sat there in irons, day after day. So I too, added the turbo kit. It made tacking much easier, and for a short time, I was happy. But then, my boat didn't point as high as the unirig guys, and they still passed on by me time and time again.
I talked to the infamous Bob Curry at a regatta, and he (as a true Jedi would) instructed me, in the ways of good and how to tack that POS. Anyway, after a bit, quite a bit, of light wind practice, I have found that the 14 unirig IS faster than the turbo, less crap on the tramp and until you've stuck one of those tramp mounted jib blocks up your ass while accidently sitting on it, you don't know true discomfort.
My advice: Practice on the uni rig and leave the jib alone. Then your Schwartz will be as big as mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

It's amazing how everybody in the ER with an object up their behind , it's always an "accident." "Honest, doc, I just sat on it. That's how it happened." Sure it is.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good one Mike. I have heard of light bulbs, remote controls, shampoo bottles but honestly.........Jib blocks from a Hobie 14?? Kinky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spaceballs. and the forum sinks to yet another new low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So Lonestar (Karl), NOW you see that evil will triumph because good is dumb.