Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Surfing turbo Hobie 14
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just had to post one of the best times of my life on my little Hobie 14. I was traveling on business last week, and wanted to take the boat with me for some sailing action after working all day in the field. I put in at 8th st in Jacksonville Beach, up by the pier. I checked into the hotel afew blocks up and got the boat rigged around 5:30. The wind was out of the SW about 10 knots. The swell was 2 to 3 ft on the faces. Everything came together- tide, offshore wind and little peelers with tubes. It was- catch a comber, drop in, head up into a beam reach and scream down the line. Wave after wave after wave after wave until 9:00. I would pull out of the wave by jibeing the main, and snapping the jib around. I would head off to get speed and pull straight up into the set coming in. Timing it at times to pull off a " Life magazine - The Cat that Flies " off the lip. I am 45 yrs old and wiegh 200 lbs. I love to surf and sail< but this had to be the best session in my pursuit waterman excellence. I down scaled ( Hobie 18, Prindle 19 ) to my little Hobie, so I can sail single handed and if I get in trouble - right it fast. I only sail in the ocean. I have been sailing her for two yrs. Gone are the two man crews, 45 min rigging with two guys, etc. Happy to keep it simple, sweet, and safe! Stoked- scott kiesling

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

scottkiesling wrote:
Just had to post one of the best times of my life on my little Hobie 14. I was traveling on business last week, and wanted to take the boat with me for some sailing action after working all day in the field. I put in at 8th st in Jacksonville Beach, up by the pier. I checked into the hotel afew blocks up and got the boat rigged around 5:30. The wind was out of the SW about 10 knots. The swell was 2 to 3 ft on the faces. Everything came together- tide, offshore wind and little peelers with tubes. It was- catch a comber, drop in, head up into a beam reach and scream down the line. Wave after wave after wave after wave until 9:00. I would pull out of the wave by jibeing the main, and snapping the jib around. I would head off to get speed and pull straight up into the set coming in. Timing it at times to pull off a " Life magazine - The Cat that Flies " off the lip. I am 45 yrs old and wiegh 200 lbs. I love to surf and sail< but this had to be the best session in my pursuit waterman excellence. I down scaled ( Hobie 18, Prindle 19 ) to my little Hobie, so I can sail single handed and if I get in trouble - right it fast. I only sail in the ocean. I have been sailing her for two yrs. Gone are the two man crews, 45 min rigging with two guys, etc. Happy to keep it simple, sweet, and safe! Stoked- scott kiesling

Yup its truly a great boat when it all comes together. But I now have an Adventure Island as well, 12 min to being in the water. Not as fast, but a lot of fun anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

How is it going down under? What type of sailboat is the Adventure Island? Can you sail it in the surf? I tried to goole it - I would enjoy learning more about your boat. sk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:34 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hobie Mirage Adventure Island, a 16' Trimaran - just found it! Nice! SK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

scottkiesling wrote:
I put in at 8th st in Jacksonville Beach, up by the pier. I checked into the hotel afew blocks up and got the boat rigged around 5:30. The wind was out of the SW about 10 knots. The swell was 2 to 3 ft on the faces. Everything came together- tide, offshore wind and little peelers with tubes. It was- catch a comber, drop in, head up into a beam reach and scream down the line. Wave after wave after wave after wave until 9:00. I would pull out of the wave by jibeing the main, and snapping the jib around. I would head off to get speed and pull straight up into the set coming in. Timing it at times to pull off a " Life magazine - The Cat that Flies " off the lip. I am 45 yrs old

Scott,

When you were ten I sailed my 14 (#86) at exactly that same spot regularly. I didn't even know people raced them. I just sailed in the surf like that. In and out...over and over, sometimes daring to get right next to the pier, flying a hull and on a wave.

Wave #100
H20 #287 "Tallahassee Lassie" (down in FLA)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey Jack ! I know what you mean. It is like a drug. I didn"t want to come into shore. Well, the wind eventually died and it was getting late. Jax Pier and the general area has really cleaned itself up. May-be because of all the new waterfront condos and such. I installed some foils on the bows to keep me from pitch poling a bow. It isn't street legal.... but what the hay.
I love the fact that you were doing the same course between the pier and
8th street back in 1967 !!!! Do you miss your little 14 ? I hope she is in Hobie Heaven tell stories about flying a hull while screaming down the face of a perfect little Jax bch wave!! sk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

scottkiesling wrote:
How is it going down under? What type of sailboat is the Adventure Island? Can you sail it in the surf? I tried to goole it - I would enjoy learning more about your boat. sk

There is a forum here on the AI. Its not really suitable for surfing, and would not be as tough as a Hobie 14, but for all that its a great boat, and with pedals can be far more flexible.