Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i've got to where i can step the mast on my 14 by myself but how do i keep it up while putting the pin in the forestay? I have had the suggestion to do it when the boat is facing downhill and let it lean on the shrouds but i just do nt feel comfotable doing it that way.

Any other thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Two methods I have used:
Mount a cheek block on the front mast support of the trailer. Route the forestay tension line (attached to the forestay) thru the block back to the front crossbar cleat. Raise the mast, cleat the line, pin the forestay. Voila.

The other method is simpler but requires more physical effort.
With the boat on the ground, pin the shrouds and forestay to their highest point on their respective chain plates (requires at least 2 forestay chain plates). While standing on the tramp and holding the mast, move the mast as far aft as possible until the shrouds and forestay are tight. Keeping the mast base low, leverage the top of the mast upwards and raise the entire mast up and into the front crossbar mast support. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to just loosen one shroud, then grab onto the forestay. Hang on to it and the mast while getting yourself in front and just hook it up. I do the first one that john recomends with the FXone. That mast is a bit bigger, heavier and way more expensive to replace.

Last edited by Karl Brogger on Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Get an extra 15 feet or so of line. Tie one end of extra line to the end of the main halyard. Tie the other end to the mast crutch. Step mast. Tighten and tie opposite end of halyard off on mast cleat. Climb down. Pin forestay.

Do not fight physics. You will lose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I simply tie a shackle onto a 15-16 foot piece of line- before stepping the mast, attach shackle to bottom of forestay, loop the line beneath the forestay, step the mast, using one hand to keep the mast up,pull the line tight and cleat it on the downhaul cleat. this will keep her steady enough to climb off and pin the forestay. I use the same trick to solo rig my 16. Or, as earlier suggested, you can use the old method- pin it loose and lift the mast into place. Step links are waaay easier, though!- Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

i assume that you meant to loop the line under the bridles and then cleat it, that seems easiest and the forestay is right at the bridles when you jump down to pin it.

I have the old school 14, (no serial number on transom, its on the front pylon, i think its got to be early 70's) it doesnt have a mast step link compatible mast base, or mast step, so i just have the hook at the bottom of the mast that hooks onto the mast step. I put the mast in the mast step while behind the boat and walk the mast toward the back of the boat. I set the mast on a piece of wood thats about 2 foot tall and use it as a fulcrum to keep pressure on the mast step, then i just jump up on the tramp and raise it the rest of the way from there.

Now i can do it all by myself instead of asking some innocent bystander for some help...

Thanks to everyone for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:35 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, sorry, I meant the bridle! This method is a little more difficult with the turbo rig, also- the furler gets in the way!. You can probably retrofit the step link- instructions are included in the kit!