Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Horizontal Beach Wheels?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello!

I am just flat out determined to get my H14 out on the beach that is just 4 blocks from my new place.

There is a place to beach a boat on the public beach but there is no place to get a trailer near to the water on the beach. It is mostly setup for power boaters to come and drop anchor to swim. Going the way the power boats go means motoring up a channel for 15 minutes with 4 foot rollers after driving the trailer a couple miles away from the beach. I am not sure I can do that.

While it is only 4 blocks I doubt I can wheel a 7 foot wide H14 down the street on beach wheels without the police talking to me or at least other people yelling at me.

(Enough complaining, sorry!)

I would like to tip the boat up on one hull horizontally and lash it down to some sort of dolly or beach wheels so I can get the whole mess on the sidewalk.

Am I insane? Has anyone done this before?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Scott.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:30 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
While it is only 4 blocks I doubt I can wheel a 7 foot wide H14 down the street on beach wheels without the police talking to me or at least other people yelling at me.

You won't know until you try.

Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Can't you do it the long way once, and the leave it on the beach there? Its a hassle going four blocks by hand every time you want to sail?

I have never seen a hobie trailered on its side, but of course wider cats are carried that way, but still on a seven foot base. You would want to be sure there was almost no wind, because the tramp is a very effective sail.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the replies.

That is a very good point about the tramp. I could really only roll it directly into the wind.

Unfortunately doing it the long way once is also not going to work since overnight storage is not allowed.

Any comments on how hard it is to get on and off beach wheels directly from a trailer? I might be able to do that out in the street right next to the beach when parking is available.

Thanks again,

Scott.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

zooTown wrote:
Any comments on how hard it is to get on and off beach wheels directly from a trailer?

Thats the only way I launch my boat. I haven't backed a trailer into the water in a long time. If you are doing unloading it onto a hard surface just put some padding down for the back of the hulls to rest on while you starp the wheels on. I do it by myself with the FXone all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the tip, Karl! I think I will give that a go.

Scott.