Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roller Furling
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

What does a roller furling do to the jib on a hobie 14 turbo? Is it worth putting one on my torbo?

Post subject: Roller Furling?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Roller Furling Jib?

This is a system that spins the forestay and winds the jib up around it. Great for beaching, storage or depowering in higher winds. Gets the jib out of the way and stops it from flapping while sitting on the beach.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:08 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have mixed feelings about the furler. First, the jib is so small that it really isn't necessary to furl it if you are somehow overpowered. Second, in the stock set-up, you step the mast with the jib because the jib has a jibstay. This is a clean set-up, but you can't leave the mast up on the beach since the sail will have to stay on the boat. This is very bad for the sail.

For almost all of my 14s, I got a good used set of rigging for a 16 and cut it down to fit the 14. I leave my boats on the beach, so it is important for me to leave the mast up and take the sails with me. This method is cheaper in that you lose the furler and you don't have to use the expensive roller-swaged fittings the the furler uses.

In the other hand, I have a headsail on one of my 14s, and I had to have it rigged as a Turbo, too. I couldn't have the 16 set-up because it would have an adjuster sticking out that the headsail would catch on. In that case, I got the rigging from an 18 (including the furler) and cut it down to fit the 14. I also had to get a custom jib made with a zippered luff.

The only reason I can see for having the furler is to furl the sail when you are on the beach between runs. It would keep it from flapping around.

Post subject: Sorry, Matt...
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt, you beat me to the punch--we may have been typing at the same time.

I reread my post and I'm not being negative about it because it is a great system for all the reasons you listed, but I have found alternatives.

I mean, can you really overpower a 14? That's when the sailing just starts to get good!! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:16 pm 
Site Admin

Looks like I just "out drew you" on the submit!

Dan, Thanks for the great feedback on the furler. I guess I like them most for, just as you said, getting them to stop flapping while on the beach, but you can just wrap the jib around the forestay and rehook the blocks too.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject: New 14 rigging.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Matt,

You know, you should re-release the 14 and issue it with my rigging system as an option. I tell you what, start making them again, and I'll do some testing on them in exchange for my recipe (and a free boat, of course). I'll even throw in the custom (not yet patented) headsail recipe!

This is a short term offer--better move quick.

Dan :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Take Dan up on his offer!!!! the 14's are still great solo boats! Mine's good now, but oneday it'll get old and beat. The furler's handy now and then, but there are times I'd like to leave the mast up for longer periods, but the winds play hell with snorkels (and the sails inside) - Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is there any PDFs or web documents that show how to hook up the Roll furling?
I just got an 85 14T that has the RF drum and it should be all good to go but i'm not sure how to rig it?
Thanks!
-AM

Post subject: Setup
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt will pobalby have someting for you. Do have forestay and all the wires? There should be a jib halyard. Run the line inside the zipper as you pull zipper up to raise jib and cheat it in cleat when up.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I think everything is there....Its the rigging that is kinda confusing for me a bit. Where exactly is the zipper??

Post subject: Zipper
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It has been a long time since I had a 14 Turbo. The jib may not have a zipper as the 17 did. You just use the halyard that should have some kind of pulley system to raise the jib up to top. Then you cleat it or tie it some how. Matt or some of the 14 guys should be able to tell you more.

Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:17 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The standard 14 Turbo does not have a zipper on the luff of the jib. The luff wire in the jib is the forestay. There is no jib halyard

That's what the whole prior discussion was about - having to leave the sail on the boat when the mast is up vs. coming up with a halyard system for the 14 Turbo jib.

The system Dan came up with - essentially the same system as on the 18 and the Tiger - requires a custom made/modified jib and the upper hardware / forestay from an 18, cut down to fit on the 14.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The stock 14 jib has a wire in the leading edge that takes the place of the forestay. You connect the bridles to the bottom of the furler and then to each hull at the bow tang. The sail attaches to the top of the furler with a pin and the upper forestay/swivel attaches to the top of the sail. That pigtail then attaches to the mast.

The jib with the zipper is a custom jib. If you have a system that is unlike what I described above, it may be custom. I would take some pictures and post them here. One of us should be able to tell you what is going on.

Post subject: Thanks!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks.!
This would be great if you can post some pics. I will do the same to show you all what came with the boat.
Thanks!!

This is a great forum and you all are great people!

Post subject: Pics of my new H14
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok this is it.
What do you all think ... is it in a good condition ??
Also if you look at the first pic below there is a thin rope that connects the RF Drum and a cleat (or something) on the front cross bar (I have it tied to the dolphin striker for now so it wont be hanging). I think its supposed to hold the jib open or somthing??
How does that work?

http://ametry.com/pics/H14/front.JPG

http://ametry.com/pics/H14/front_below.JPG

http://ametry.com/pics/H14/Hull_ID.JPG

http://ametry.com/pics/H14/logo.JPG

http://ametry.com/pics/H14/side1.JPG

http://ametry.com/pics/H14/tramp1.JPG

http://ametry.com/pics/H14/tramp2.JPG