Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:52 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have a H16 - I leave it on the beach and take my jib, main, tiller and blocks home with me when I am done sailing. I want to do this with my new H14Turbo
and was told that I need to leave my jib on the boat unless I want to step my mast and reattach my jjib every time I sail.

Is there a better way? I bought a snorkel to protect the jib in case I do have to leave it on my boat. Isn;t there a better way?
any ideas out there would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Dena

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Get a jib made that uses a halyard.

Dan Berger (Hobie Fleet 32, VA Beach) can help you with this. ([email protected])

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks,
I found an aussie jib halyard kit and Steve from Murrays said that they could make a custom forestay for me. I won't have to drill holes for a cheek block using the aussie halyard jib.

I noticed on my H14T the mast has an upper forestay. I have a hunch the previous owner forgot to pass on all the custom parts that were supposed to come with this boat.

I was so exited to finally get the 14T with the furling jib -I panicked when I noticed that I had no forestay.

It will be nice once I get her rigged and can finally sail without having to worry about getting someone to crew
for me on the H16!
:D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have a sail maker install a zipper luff and a small cleat on the jib. Then rig it like a H18 (17sport, 21, etc).

If you go with a H16 type system (halyard cleated on mast) , you will lose the ability to furl.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I knew someone was talking about me again!

I cut down Hobie 16 rigging to fit a 14 and added a cleat and cheek block to the mast so I can rig it just like a 16. I had to make custom bridles that had eyelets at both ends. You lose the furling, but you can take the jib with you. That set-up uses the stock 14 jib.

I also cut down Hobie 18 rigging to fit the 14 and had Chip Buck at Whirlwind sails make me a custom jib with a zipper like an 18. That let me keep the furling. You will need to cut the top end of the 18 forestay to make it a few inches longer than the 14 Jibstay. I replaced the wire jib halyard with a thin nylon line. You can keep the standard 14 bridles, too. Chip may be able to adapt your jib with a zipper, but he is very reasonable and it is worth it to just get a new one. He has my pattern, so just ask him about the one he made for me.

Hope this helps.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On our 14(nonT) I added a simple block up where the 14 shrouds and forestay attach and use a halyard to raise the jib. The jib is off another boat that is just the right size for the 14 and attaches to the stock 14 forestay with the usual little clips. Installing/removing/raising/lowering the jib is very simple. This "clip-on jib" solution might work for you to eliminate the need to step-unstep the mast every time on your 16 and if you don't need or care for the roller furling.