Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm resurrecting an old H14 for my kids. It came set up as a turbo (aftermarket kit) but included with the boat were the stock non turbo forestay, adjuster, and bridles as well.

My question is, how do you adjust the mast rake in turbo mode? Or are you supposed to? My experience with H18, H16, and non-turbo H14 boats tells me there is typically a multi hole adjuster at the bottom of the forestay that is used to adjust the length of the forestay hence affecting mast rake. I would then adjust the shrouds at the adjusters to give the level of "rig tightness" I wanted.

But my 14 boat doesn't appear to have a forestay adjuster in turbo mode. The H14 turbo instructions indicates the jib tack is placed directly into the roller furler without any sort of multi hole adjuster. Looks like I've really only got the two holes in the roller furler as adjustment options, and I'm not sure the tack will actually go down far enough to get to the lower hole in the furler.

Is this normal?

I have yet to sail the boat, so it may sail just fine, don't know yet. I guess I was just anticipating issues arising from the test sail that I would need to correct with mast rake, but how?

Thanks for the help,

Mike Bennett
Madera, CA

1981 H18
1974 H14 turbo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Mike,

I am also interested in this question. I have raked my own H14T by adding a 7 hole adjuster at the TOP of the jib - between the jib and the swivel. It seems to work OK, but its hard to tell if it is better to put the extra length at the top or the foot of the jib. It seemed to me that the relationship between the jib and the main would be changed less by putting the length at the top, but I'm only guessing. Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has experimented with this.

Roger
Sacramento CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Oh man, I have just gone through experimenting with rake on my recently modified Hobie 14 turbo. ( before , it was just a regular H-14). I put the 7 hole adjuster between the top of the jib, and the swivel at the top. Putting the adjuster on top of the furler, would have put the jib way too high. ( It sure looked awkward). It was a real pain to adjust the rake, since everytime I wanted to change the length in the adjuster, I had to drop the mast. But, I am running at the 4th hole in the adjuster, and the rake seems to be just right now.
I am real curious, if any other H-14 turbo sailors rake their mast in the same way??? Its not elegant, but it works. :)