Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:54 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok... I have found what I think is a pretty good deal on a Hobie 14... The only reservation I have, is the 14s weight capacity. I'm a big guy... 6'2" and approx 275 (little debbies are my friend :D ). I'm really thinking a 14 may not be enough boat if I ever wanted to take along a crew member (wife or kido). Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Optimum weight for a 14 is 165 lbs. You plus another person would not be good. I would think a 16 would be perfect for you. With your size you may even be able to right a 16 by yourself. Hope this helps. Have a Hobie day!

'83 Hobie 14 Turbo "Rio"
Blue Hawaii Sail #40954

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I'm a big guy... 6'2" and approx 275

I'd say forget the 14, especially if you want to take along passengers. Look for something with a bigger rig and more flotation - maybe a 17Sport or an 18.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Im about 6'4 and 260 and I sail a 16. I think my weight is just fine for racing single-handed and I have no problem putting a crew on the boat and still blasting around with a hull in the air. I can right my 16 solo as long as there is a good breeze in most situations. I've never been on a 14, but it seems to me that unless you are a kid, it's just not enough boat. (no offence to you skinny guys, and my intent is not to dis the 14). Standing beside one it even looks like it won't have enough floatation. I love the 18, but single-handed righting is pretty much out the window from what I've heard. I think the 16 is the all around most versitile cat out there. Plus, they are still manageable to rig and move around solo. I'm to the point where if I have to rely on someone else (crew) to get my sailing fix, I'm just not as interested.