Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "Restore" or start over?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

My dad has a Hobie 14 in our backyard that he bought when he graduated from college in the 1970s, and I grew up sailing it with him. Gradually, we stopped sailing it and it has sat in our backyard for 10-12 years now. It is in solid, though not great, condition, but obviously it has been exposed to a lot of weater. The trailer, for one, had the axle/wheels rot off and needs a lot of work.

Now, obviously without seeing it, you can't give me an accurate assesment, but based on the experience and knowledge of the board, which would be smarter? Fix it up, or start over with something in better shape, if not newer. FWIW, the sail is in decent condition, and I have all the parts, they just might not all be good. My main concern is that if I fix this boat up, I will be bringing it to the Norfolk, VA area, and will probably live in an apartment or condo, and not have a ton of places to work on it.

So if you were me, what would you do? "Free" Hobie that needs work, or something in better shape for more $$$ (probably give or take $1k), that isn't necessarily a Cat. I also have some experience sailing/racing Lightnings, and wouldn't mind a similar monohull. I just wanna be able to sail! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd fix it. New riggings $95. Interlux paint, wetsand sand paper, tube of bondo $100 Earl Dame tramp and carpet for the rails $200.
Rudder kit, main sheet $50. What else would you need?? $445 and you got a boat that looks and smells new (but we know the truth!)

Post subject: Ditch it
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ditch it for two reasons:

1. H14 is a one-person boat. Before you know it, you will have people coming with you and you will be looking for a different ride.

2. Give it a good cleaning and sell it. In the long run putting your money into a better boat is the way to go.